Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deflection of gravitational acceleration vector due to Sun or Moon

Tags:
  1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    On Wolfram Alpha, I get the following values for gravitational acceleration on earth due to the sun and moon, respectively:

gravitational constant * mass of sun / (distance to sun)^2 → 0.005991 m/s2
    gravitational constant * mass of moon / (distance to moon)^2 → 3.68×10-5 m/s2

If the Earth's gravitational acceleration vector is 9.8 m/s2 toward the Earth's center of mass, I'm trying to determine how much that vector is changed by the presence of the sun or moon. I think I can just say that there's a point on Earth where the Sun's 0.005991 m/s2 vector would be orthogonal to the Earth's 9.8 m/s2 vector so that I can find the angle between the Earth and Earth+Sun vector as:

Inverse Tan(.005911 / 9.8) → 0.03456°

Q1: Is this correct? It is a larger angle than I was expecting.
    Q2: On a tangent, why is the moon primarily responsible for tides when the sun's gravitational acceleration at Earth is greater? Is it because the slope of 1/r2 is flatter for the Sun than it is for the moon at the distances involved?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Without checking the math, it looks reasonable. This gives you the angle that a ball would fall if dropped from a height onto the ground at sunrise or sunset -- if the ground were not, itself, accelerating toward the sun. Of course, the ground is accelerating sunward. If you pounded an earth-vertical stick into the ground, the ball would trace out a path parallel to the stick and you would measure an angle of zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook