1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with Einstein tensor notation

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm confused about writing down the equation: [itex] \Lambda \eta \Lambda^{-1} = \eta [/itex] in the Einstein convention.

2. Relevant equations

The answer is: [itex] \eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho\sigma}[/itex]

However it's strange because there seems to be no distinction between [itex]\Lambda[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda^{-1}[/itex] if we write it this way.
    However we know that:

[itex](\Lambda^{-1})^{\mu}{}_{\nu} = \Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

If the equation was instead [itex] \Lambda B \Lambda^{-1} = B [/itex]

Where [itex] B [/itex] is a tensor given in the form [itex] B^{\mu}{}_{\nu}[/itex] then it's clear to me how to write it:

[itex] \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\mu} B^{\mu}{}_{\nu} \Lambda_{\sigma}{}^{\nu} = B^{\rho}{}_{\sigma}[/itex]

But [itex] \eta [/itex] is given in the form [itex] \eta^{\mu\nu} [/itex] and I don't understand how I can contract it with both [itex] \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu} [/itex] and [itex] \Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu} [/itex] in order to arrive eventually at the result quoted in (2).

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2
    Is there an actual question? :tongue:

So, your confusion is how (2) works?

4. May 28, 2013 #3
    Haha sorry :tongue:

I would like to know why (2) works, and possibly how I could arrive at it, starting from an expression that has both [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu}[/itex].

5. May 28, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, just raise the ##\mu## index and lower the ##\rho## index on the first ##\Lambda## in your form with the B tensor using the metric tensor.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. May 29, 2013 #5
    Thanks,

Like that: ?

[itex] \Lambda_{\rho}{}^{\mu} \eta_{\mu}{}_{\nu} \Lambda_{\sigma}{}^{\nu} = \eta_{\rho}{}_{\sigma} [/itex]

But then again both [itex]\Lambda[/itex]'s are of the same form - this time they both seem to be inverses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted