Confusion with Lagrangian function in a calculation example

In summary, the conversation discusses a waterpipe with a smooth interior wall and a ball being released at a specific point with zero initial speed. The ball's motion is described using a curve function, and its speed can be decomposed at any given point. The motion energy and potential functions are also calculated, and the Lagrange function is used to derive the equation of motion. The conversation also touches on the use of Hamilton's principle and Fermat's principle in describing electron and nuclear actions.
zhouhao
1107_1.jpg
There is waterpipe with smooth interior wall as shown in the figure.The curve of waterpipe could be describe as function ##q_y=f(q_x)##.
A ball going through this pipe was put at ##O## point with zero initial speed.At the point ##(q_x,q_y)##,the speed of the ball could be decomposed as ##(\dot{q_x},\dot{q_y})##.What's more,$${\dot{q}_y}=\tan{\theta}{\dot{q}_x}=f'(q_x)\dot{q}_x \text{ } {(1)}$$.Motion energy function is $$T=\frac{1}{2}m{{\dot{q}}_x}^2+{\frac{1}{2}}m{{\dot{q}}_y}^2$$Potential function is $$V=-mg{q_x}$$ Lagrange function $$L=T-V={\frac{1}{2}}m{{\dot{q}}_x}^2+{\frac{1}{2}}m{\dot{q_y}}^2+mg{q_x} \text{ } {(2)}$$ Substituting equation (1) into equation (2),we get$$L=\frac{1}{2}m\{1+[f'(q_x)]^2\}{{\dot{q}}_x}^2+mg{q_x}$$Now,we calculate lagrange equation$$\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}q_x})-\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{q_x}}=0$$It could be get $$m\{1+[f'(q_x)]^2\}{\ddot{q}}_x+m{\dot{q}_x}^2{f'(q_x)}{f''(q_x)}-mg=0 {(3)}$$As shown in right part of figure,at point##(q_x,q_y)## of curve,the force taking effect is ##mg\cos{\theta}##,then decomposing this force at ##q_x## direction,we get$$m{\ddot{q}_x}=mg{{\cos}^2{\theta}}=mg(1+{\tan}^2{\theta})=\frac{mg}{1+[f'(q_x)]^2} \text{ }{(4)}$$Substitubing equation (4) into equation (3),we get $$m{\dot{q}_x}^2{f'(q_x)}{f''(q_x)}=0$$
This is not reasonable.
I have no idea how to explain the last equation.Is there something wrong with my force analysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've no clue, how you come to Eq. (4). The Lagrangian contains everything you need to derive the equation of motion. Also note that energy is conserved, because the Lagrangian is no explicitly time dependent. That should be sufficient to solve the equation of motion up to integrations.

vanhees71 said:
I've no clue, how you come to Eq. (4). The Lagrangian contains everything you need to derive the equation of motion. Also note that energy is conserved, because the Lagrangian is no explicitly time dependent. That should be sufficient to solve the equation of motion up to integrations.

Thank you.I get equation (4) in this way(equation (4) is not right,which I just find):

Decomposing Gravity into two directions parallel and perpendicular with the curve,perpendicular force would be eliminated and only force parallel to the curve left.The parallel force is the total force,if decomposing the total force into ##q_x## direction,I got equation (4).-------------This is not correct,I have mistaken the total force.
I guess Lagrangian equation should be modified as $$\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{{\partial}L}{{\partial}{\dot{q}_x}})-\frac{{\partial}L}{\partial{q}}=Q_{q_x}$$$$Q_{q_x}\text{is the constrain force decomposed into }q_x \text{ direction}$$

However,how to make the Hamilton's principle take effect here,if we modified the Lagrangian equation?
My aim is not just solve an example,but to find how to through Hamilton's principle{##L(q,\dot{q},t)##} and Fermat's principle{##t(q,\frac{dq}{dq'},q')##} to describe a electron's action or nuclear action.
Thank you.

Last edited:
You have a holonomous constraint, ##q_y=f(q_x)##, and thus you can write down the Lagrangian you did. Then there's one equation of motion
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_x}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_x}=0.$$
Alternatively you could use the Lagrangian (2) together with the constraint and use the method of Lagrange multipliers (in this case of course there's only one Lagrange multiplier since there's only one constraint). Then you also get the constrain forces.

What is the Lagrangian function?

The Lagrangian function is a mathematical tool used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is used to derive the equations of motion.

Why is there confusion with the Lagrangian function in a calculation example?

The Lagrangian function can be confusing because it is a relatively new concept in classical mechanics and it involves the use of calculus. Additionally, there are different variations and formulations of the Lagrangian function which can add to the confusion.

What is the purpose of using the Lagrangian function in a calculation?

The Lagrangian function allows for a more elegant and concise approach to solving problems in classical mechanics. It also takes into account all the relevant energies of a system and simplifies the equations of motion.

What are some common mistakes when using the Lagrangian function in a calculation?

Some common mistakes include incorrectly setting up the Lagrangian function, neglecting certain terms in the equations of motion, and not understanding the physical significance of the Lagrangian function in a specific problem.

How can one improve their understanding of the Lagrangian function in a calculation?

It is important to first have a solid understanding of classical mechanics and calculus before attempting to use the Lagrangian function. Practice with different examples and seek guidance from experienced scientists or textbooks to improve your understanding.