1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confusion with rope tension and monkeys

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    So I am again stuck on a question I have been provided. The question is:

Draw a FBD for each monkey. For each monkey, determine the rope tension that would allow the monkey to begin accelerating in the expected direction. (on a side note this is a pulley situation one monkey is 22kg and the other was 20kg and they are looking for both the maximum and minimum tension required)

So what I did is:

Fg22 – T= ma
    T = Fg22 – ma
    T = (22kg)(9.8 m/s) – (22kg)(0.47 m/s) = 205.26 N

Which I realize is the rope tension for the whole system. What I am confused on is.... I thought that the tension in the rope would be the same throughout.... am I missing a step? What I am thinking is what I have done is found the minimum tension only.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2
    I get the same answer as you and you are correct there is only one tension in the string.... it is the same everywhere .... unless the pulley has a mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook