Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Confussion with setting up loading conditions on cylinder

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1
    I have a horizontally supported cylindrical tube that is fixed at both ends. I modeled half of it to run the simulation on in Abaqus. The only load that it has is its weight. What I get confused at with cylindrical geometry is applying the load. How should I apply the gravitational load and at what location?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2
    Isn't the gravitational load uniformly distributed over the volume of material comprising the tube?

Chet

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    That is correct. I just wasn't sure how to set up the loading conditions on a cylindrical surface for gravity.

5. Oct 18, 2015 #4
    The cylinder is horizontal and you are using cylindrical coordinates, correct? So the z axis of the cylindrical coordinate system is horizontal. But, gravity is acting downward. Can you represent the direction of gravity in terms of the circumferential coordinate θ and the cylindrical coordinate unit vectors?

Are you using a shell model or a 3D model? Or, are you treating the tube like a beam?

Chet

6. Oct 18, 2015 #5
    I am not using cylindrical coordinates, I don't want to have to do any coordinate transformations afterwards. I am using a 3D model that I created.

7. Oct 18, 2015 #6
    The (distributed) gravitational force per unit volume is equal to ρg, where ρ is the density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook