Conjugate Bra Ket Properties for Proving the Schwarz Inequality

In summary, the conversation discusses the Schwarz inequality for $<f|H|g>$ and confirms that $\langle f|g\rangle^*=\langle g|f\rangle$ and $\langle f|H|g\rangle^*=\langle g|H|f\rangle$ for a Hermitian operator $H$. It also clarifies that $\langle f|H|g\rangle \, \langle g|H|f\rangle=\langle f|H|g\rangle \langle f|H|g\rangle^*=|\langle f|H|g\rangle|^2$ for the proof.
ognik
Just checking (while trying to prove the Schwarz inequality for $<f|H|g>$, I know $ <f|g>=<g|f>^* $ please confirm/correct :

If $ \psi=f+\lambda g, \:then\: \psi^*=f^*+\lambda^* g^* $

Is $ <f^*|g>=<g^*|f>^* $ and $ <f^*|H|g>=<g^*|H|f>^* $ (H hermitian)?

Is $ <f^*|H|g><g^*|H|f> = - <g^*|H|f><f^*|H|g> $

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
Just checking (while trying to prove the Schwarz inequality for $<f|H|g>$,

Use the $\LaTeX$ codes
Code:
\langle and \rangle
instead of < and > to get better-looking symbols.

I know $ <f|g>=<g|f>^* $ please confirm/correct :

If $ \psi=f+\lambda g, \:\text{then}\: \psi^*=f^*+\lambda^* g^* $

Is $ <f^*|g>=<g^*|f>^* $ and $ <f^*|H|g>=<g^*|H|f>^* $ (H hermitian)?

It's confusing to put the conjugate symbol inside a bra or ket. That's not usually how we do this notation. Remember these rules:
1. The Hermitian conjugate of a bra is the corresponding ket, and vice versa. That is, $|f\rangle^{\dagger}=\langle f|$, and $\langle f|^{\dagger}=|f\rangle$.
2. The Hermitian conjugate of a complex number is its complex conjugate.
3. The Hermitian conjugate of a Hermitian conjugate is the original thing back at you.
4. For a general operator $A$, you have $\langle f|A|g\rangle^*=\langle g|A^{\dagger}|f\rangle$.

So, I would say you have $\langle f|g\rangle^*=\langle g|f\rangle$, and $\langle f|H|g\rangle^*=\langle g|H|f\rangle$, since $H$ is Hermitian.

Is $ <f^*|H|g><g^*|H|f> = - <g^*|H|f><f^*|H|g> $

Thanks

I would say $\langle f|H|g\rangle \, \langle g|H|f\rangle=\langle f|H|g\rangle \langle f|H|g\rangle^*=|\langle f|H|g\rangle|^2$.

It's confusing to put the conjugate symbol inside a bra or ket.
Which was what I needed to know to figure out the (too embarrassing to tell) mistake I was making.

The proof fell into place almost too easily after that, thanks ackbach

1. What is a conjugate bra ket?

A conjugate bra ket is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the inner product of two quantum states. It is written as ψ|ϕ, where ψ and ϕ are the two quantum states.

2. What are the properties of a conjugate bra ket?

There are several properties of a conjugate bra ket, including linearity, orthogonality, and completeness. Linearity means that it follows the rules of linear algebra, such as the distributive and associative properties. Orthogonality means that the inner product of two orthogonal states is equal to zero. Completeness means that it can be used to express any quantum state as a linear combination of basis states.

3. How is a conjugate bra ket used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a conjugate bra ket is used to calculate the probability of a quantum system being in a specific state. The inner product of the conjugate bra and ket represents the probability amplitude, which is then squared to give the actual probability.

4. Can a conjugate bra ket be complex?

Yes, a conjugate bra ket can be complex. In quantum mechanics, complex numbers are often used to represent the probability amplitudes of quantum states. This allows for interference effects and other quantum phenomena to be accurately described.

5. How do you manipulate conjugate bra kets in calculations?

To manipulate conjugate bra kets in calculations, you can use the properties of linearity and orthogonality. For example, you can distribute a scalar multiple across a bra or ket, or you can use the orthogonality property to simplify inner products. It is also important to follow the rules of linear algebra, such as taking the complex conjugate when necessary.