Connect isolated ground to Earth?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of connecting common ground to a project enclosure in order to prevent electromagnetic interference and noise. The expert suggests that connecting the isolated common ground to the chassis and earth may help, but it ultimately depends on the specific installation. They also recommend using capacitors to mitigate power supply noise.
Mzzed
I am currently working on a high power class E amplifier which will sit inside a metal enclosure. It is powered by two power supplies - both are isolated but one of the power supplies is mounted in the same enclosure. The power supply itself is in a metal case and that case is connected to 'earth'. So, through one of the PSU chassis, the entire metal enclosure of my project is connected to earth.

I have read that people connect common ground to their chassis because this helps prevent emission of electromagnetic waves due to the operation of the circuit inside the enclosure. More importantly (in my case) doing this helps to prevent interference from outside sources and noise on any input signals.

My question is: Should I connect the isolated common ground to the project enclosure (and hence also connect the isolated common ground to earth)? I have drawn a quick diagram of my circumstances where the blue dashed line represents the new wire that I am thinking of connecting between Earth and isolated ground.

upload_2018-10-7_17-4-11.png

Thanks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_17-4-11.png
    upload_2018-10-7_17-4-11.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 506
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just remember that there is resistance in the Earth and it can create potential differences between two grounds to earth. That can cause "ground loops". A good metal conductor between two grounds to Earth and differential signals are often necessary.

Last edited:
Likes Mzzed
FactChecker said:
Just remember that there is resistance in the Earth and it can create potential differences between two grounds to earth. That can cause "ground loops". A good metal conductor between two grounds to Earth and differential signals are often necessary.
Thats a good point. Aside from that, does that system look to be ok if I connect the isolated ground to the chassis and earth?

Often keeping them isolated is a better bet, but not always. It depends a lot on the details of the particular installation; some of which you have little control over.

Try it both ways and use whichever has the least noise problem.

A third possibility is to connect the electronics ground to chassis with a capacitor, 0.01μF to 0.1μF.

For power supply noise getting into the amplifier, also try 0.01μF to 0.1μF across the power supply output leads, and/or from the supply "+" to chassis (use short leads at the power supplies).

If using capacitors, use short leads on them; longer leads reduce effectiveness at higher frequencies.

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is the purpose of connecting isolated ground to Earth?

The purpose of connecting isolated ground to Earth is to provide a safe and reliable path for excess electrical charges to dissipate. This helps to protect sensitive electronic equipment from damage and ensures the safety of individuals using the equipment.

2. How is isolated ground connected to Earth?

Isolated ground is typically connected to Earth through a grounding electrode, which is a metal rod or plate buried in the ground. This electrode is then connected to the ground terminal of the electrical system, creating a direct path for excess electrical charges to flow to Earth.

3. What are the potential risks of not connecting isolated ground to Earth?

Not connecting isolated ground to Earth can pose several risks, including electrical shocks, damage to electronic equipment, and even fires. Without a proper grounding connection, excess electrical charges may build up in the equipment and can cause malfunctions or even explosions.

4. Are there any specific regulations or codes for connecting isolated ground to Earth?

Yes, there are specific regulations and codes for connecting isolated ground to Earth. In the United States, the National Electrical Code (NEC) requires isolated ground systems to be connected to the primary building grounding system, and also specifies the materials and methods for creating this connection.

5. Can isolated ground be connected to any other type of ground besides Earth?

No, isolated ground should only be connected to Earth. Other types of grounds, such as utility grounds or equipment grounds, should not be used as substitutes for connecting isolated ground to Earth. This is because they may not provide the same level of protection and can potentially create safety hazards.