1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connection between Improper Integrals

1. Jul 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain geometrically why the integral of dx/sqrt(x) for (x, 0,1)= [the integral of dx/x^2 for (x, 1, infinity)] + 1
    Including graphs as well.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I graphed both functions and they met at a point (1,1) but i don't really understand how to show it geometrically.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Graph the regions whose areas are represented by the two integrals. That might get you going in the right direction.

Also, there is a relationship between y = 1/sqrt(x) and y = 1/x^2. Can you figure out what it is?

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3
    I know the two functions are both inverse of each other. I graphed the areas of each region. But i still dont know what to write to answer the question.

5. Jul 12, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know that if two functions are inverses of each other then their graphs are reflections of each other across the line x=y?

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5
    How does this affect their area on the intervals i wrote in the initial question i asked.Why do need to add 1 to make both areas equal

7. Jul 12, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The area represented by the integral [tex]\int_0^1 \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex] is a bit larger (1 unit) than the area represented by the integral [tex]\int_1^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x^2}}[/tex].

For the first integral, the area is calculated using vertical strips of width dx and height 1/sqrt(x). What would the integral be if you used horizontal strips?

8. Jul 13, 2010 #7
    Yeah, finally solve it. I used the inverses and reflection of the two graphs at x=y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook