Connection of General relativity and geometric Refraction of light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
exponent137
Messages
563
Reaction score
35
I tried to obtain refraction of light by sun's gravity by substitution of sun's gravitational field by aether with different speeds of light.
I do not get right result. Where I am wrong?

For light which travel close to the sun by direct trajectory, I get the following speed of light in dependence of angle phi.


C=c0 (1-g cos(phi)/(1-g cos(phi)^3)^(1/2)

g=2GM/(r c^2).
r is the closest radius to the sun.

I suppose that refraction law is

dc = d(alpha) * tg(phi)

Where alpha is small refraction and phi is angle regarding sun.



But this do not give right solution in the first approximation, which is alpha = 2g.

Equation for c I get from Schwarzschild equation.

c0^2 dt^2 (1-2g cos(phi)) - dx^2/(1-2g cos(phi))-r cos(phi)^2...=0
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org