Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Connection of Newtonian Constant of Gravitation G and Plank Constant h

1. Aug 24, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I ran across this paper some time ago. I would be interested in any comments that you may have.

http://www.laboratory.ru/articl/hypo/eax060.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2003 #2
    i only know of one connection (it doesnt mean this is the only one which exists) and it's:
    planck length which is sqrt(G*h/2pi*c).

4. Aug 26, 2003 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not a connection, that's the defintion of the Planck length (it should be c3), the Planck length is derived from these fundamental constants.

5. Aug 26, 2003 #4
    well then my book (companion to the cosmos) is wrong.

6. Aug 26, 2003 #5
  7. Aug 26, 2003 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Planck length isn't a fundamnetal constant, it's a unit derived from fundamental constants and if your book listed c instead of the third power of c then it is wrong. When Max Planck invented Planck units it was to eliminate arbitariness from the units of measurement (though he used h, Planck's constant instead of h-bar, Dirac's constant that are used for Planck units today).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2003
  8. Aug 26, 2003 #7
  9. Aug 26, 2003 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

wikipedia looks perfectly corect to me. I know Wikipedia is open source, but in general it's a very good source of information.

10. Aug 27, 2003 #9
    Bonjour,

IMHO and from my personal experience, someone may jungle with already usefull and known constants to aim toward more fundamental constants, the result shall demonstrate that the new constants 1) have fundamental physical meaning(s) and 2) is able to predict colateral phenomena(s).

Posing that you and a friend are extra-terrestrial beings. You are specialized in the earth-european continent and your friend is specialized in earth-american continent. When someone (another extra-terestrial being or not) come and said: "European and american weathers are linked." That's fine. When he come and said: "Polar ice cap area influences the golfstream path which link european and american weathers" That's better.

11. Aug 30, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No nay-sayers to this paper?

I was not sure what to think.

12. Aug 30, 2003 #11

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No the paper's obviously bunk.

13. Aug 30, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?