Conservation momentum in 2D

In summary, the conversation is about a problem related to elastic collisions involving a 0.25 kg ball attached to a string and a 0.21 kg ball on a horizontal table. The question is asking for the speed of the 0.21 kg ball after the collision. The solution involves using conservation of momentum.
HelloMotto
i seem to having trouble with questions related to elastic collisions. Please help me out if you can please.

A 0.25 kg ball is attached to a 26-cm piece of string. The ball is first raised so that the string is taut and horizontal, then the ball is released so that, at the bottom of its swing, it undergoes an elastic headon collision with a 0.21 -kg ball that is free to roll along a horizontal table.

What is the speed of the 0.21 kg ball just after the collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
HelloMotto said:
i seem to having trouble with questions related to elastic collisions. Please help me out if you can please.

A 0.25 kg ball is attached to a 26-cm piece of string. The ball is first raised so that the string is taut and horizontal, then the ball is released so that, at the bottom of its swing, it undergoes an elastic headon collision with a 0.21 -kg ball that is free to roll along a horizontal table.

What is the speed of the 0.21 kg ball just after the collision?

first figure out the speed of the 0.25kg ball right before the collision.

olgranpappy said:
first figure out the speed of the 0.25kg ball right before the collision.

ok i got like 2.26 m/s just before the collision.
i know that in perfectly elastic collision, the kinetic energy is conserved.
so my energy statement would be something like this
Ek initial = Ek ball1 + Ek ball2. right?

but when i expand and plug in the givens, I am left with 2 unknowns, the final velocity of each ball. Thats where I am stuck at.

HelloMotto said:
ok i got like 2.26 m/s just before the collision.
i know that in perfectly elastic collision, the kinetic energy is conserved.
so my energy statement would be something like this
Ek initial = Ek ball1 + Ek ball2. right?

but when i expand and plug in the givens, I am left with 2 unknowns, the final velocity of each ball. Thats where I am stuck at.

the solution to your problem is given as the title to this thread... use conservation of momentum.

1. What is conservation momentum in 2D?

Conservation momentum in 2D is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a system will remain constant if there are no external forces acting on it. This means that in a two-dimensional system, the momentum in the x-direction and the y-direction will remain constant over time.

2. Why is conservation momentum important in 2D?

Conservation momentum is important in 2D because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in two-dimensional systems. It allows us to analyze the interactions between objects and determine the outcome of collisions or other events.

3. How is conservation momentum calculated in 2D?

In 2D, conservation momentum is calculated by adding the momenta of all objects in the system in both the x and y-directions. Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation momentum in 2D?

One example of conservation momentum in 2D is a game of billiards. The momentum of the cue ball is transferred to the other balls, causing them to move in different directions. This demonstrates the conservation of momentum in both the x and y-directions.

Another example is a car collision. The total momentum of the two cars before the collision will be equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

5. How does conservation momentum relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Conservation momentum is a direct result of Newton's Laws of Motion. The first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In 2D, this means that an object's momentum in the x and y-directions will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.