1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of energy

1. Dec 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A man lifted a full keg of beer (mas 62kg) to a height of about 2m 676 times in 6 hours. Assuming that work was done only as the keg was going up, estimate how many such kegs of beer he would have to drink to reimburse his energy expenditure. (1 L of beer is approximately 1kg and provides about 1.5MJ of energy; in calculation neglect the mass of the empty keg)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So E= F.[tex]\Delta[/tex]x =mgx= 62*9.81*2

For 676 times E=672*62*9.81*2[tex]\approx[/tex] 822313 J.

So the energy he needs to take in is 822313 J which is smaller than 1.5MJ so it means he will need less than 1 L of beer ??

Am I wrong ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

Gold Member

I think you made it right even if you wrote "672" instead of 676 in
  4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    Amusing problem by the way. I think that you did it right, I got that it was 0.5482 L or 0.008842 kegs of beer.
  5. Dec 2, 2008 #4
    My bad. So my approach is right ??

One more problem:

So I am given a 8kg sled is initially at rest on a horizontal road. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled an the road is 0.4. The sled is pulled a distanced of 3m by a force of 40 N applied to the sled at an angle of 30 degree.

They ask for the energy dissipated by friction

So I have delta E thermal = F* delta x= 0.4*8*9.81*3

However I got the wrong answer. Is my approach right ?
  6. Dec 2, 2008 #5
    The normal force is not equal to the force of gravity because there is another force acting in the vertical direction---the force being applied to the sled at the 30 degree angle.
  7. Dec 2, 2008 #6
    so will normal force equal force of gravity + Fsin30 ?
  8. Dec 2, 2008 #7
    Actually, subtract I meant. Anyway, I got it. THanks guys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?