Understanding Gravitational Potential Energy: 3 Questions Answered

In summary: When they say "relative to the ceiling" they mean use the ceiling as h=0. When they say "relative to a point at the same elevation as the ball" they mean use the ball's height from the ground as h=0. This means that you are measuring the gravitational potential energy at the same level as the ball, rather than from the floor or ceiling. In summary, "relative to" in this context refers to the chosen reference point for measuring gravitational potential energy.
yyttr2
I have three questions here, and I am a bit confused about what "relative to" means in this context:

1."A 1.91 kg ball is attached to a ceiling by a
3.28 m long string. The height of the room is
5.94 m .
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
What is the gravitational potential energy
associated with the ball relative to the ceiling?
Answer in units of J."
2. "What is its gravitational potential energy rel-
ative to the floor?

Answer in units of J."

3."What is its gravitational potential energy rel-
ative to a point at the same elevation as the
ball?

Answer in units of J."

I'm not looking for specific answers, I just need help interpreting the questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
yyttr2 said:
I have three questions here, and I am a bit confused about what "relative to" means in this context:

5.94 m .
Answer in units of J."
ative to the floor?

Answer in units of J."

ball?

Answer in units of J."

I'm not looking for specific answers, I just need help interpreting the questions.

Relative to ceiling means the distance from ceiling to the core of earth. (r + distance) r=radius of earth

Relative to floor means distance from floor to core of Earth (r + distance)

Relative to same point shuld be (r + balls height)

Im not sure its not very clear but that's how I understand it.

Last edited:
yyttr2 said:

5.94 m .
Answer in units of J."
ative to the floor?

Answer in units of J."

ball?

Answer in units of J."

When you measure gravitational potential energy you use the formula E=mgh. But you are free to choose which height you consider to be h=0. When they say "relative to the floor" they mean use the floor as h=0.

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy that is required to move an object from its current position to a reference point. The higher an object is in a gravitational field, the greater its gravitational potential energy.

How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the vertical height of the object. This formula assumes that the object is near the surface of the Earth and that the acceleration due to gravity is constant.

What factors affect gravitational potential energy?

The factors that affect gravitational potential energy are the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the vertical height of the object. The greater the mass and the higher the object is in a gravitational field, the greater the gravitational potential energy will be. Additionally, the strength of the gravitational field, which is determined by the mass of the larger object, will also affect the potential energy of the smaller object.