Conservation of mechanical energy in a system

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of mechanical energy in a universe consisting of three planets. It is stated that using differential equations, one can calculate the positions of the planets at any time assuming gravity is the only force acting and collisions are elastic. The potential energy can also be calculated for pointlike particles using a formula that takes into account the distances between all distinct pairs. However, for extended planets, a more detailed calculation is required. The potential energy is similar to an indefinite integral and is only defined up to an added constant, which does not affect the conservation law. The conversation also mentions the possibility of numeric instabilities in the calculations and suggests checking the total angular momentum to verify conservation.
ImAnEngineer
Suppose we have a universe consisting of three planets. Their velocities and positions at t=0, and the gravitational constant are known. One can calculate, using differential equations, the positions of the planets at any time.
Assuming that the only force acting on the planets is gravity and that whenever the planets collide it is in an completely elastic manner, will there be conservation of mechanical energy?

Also, if one wants to calculate the potential energy at any time t, how can that be done? What do we take as "reference point"? The center of mass of all masses in the universe ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, total energy is conserved if the only forces acting are inverse square laws.

The potential energy has to be taken over all distinct pairs AB, BC, AC so that the total potential energy for pointlike particles is
[tex]V=-\frac{Gm_Am_B}{|\vec{r}_A-\vec{r}_B|}-\frac{Gm_Bm_C}{|\vec{r}_B-\vec{r}_C|}-\frac{Gm_Cm_A}{|\vec{r}_C-\vec{r}_A|}[/tex]
Note that to be exact for extended planets there should be a detailed calculation for all constituents since some parts of the planet are closer than other parts.
Potential energy is like an indefinite integral, so that it is only defined up to an added constant. Which constant you add doesn't matter (here I added no constant), as potential energy is only used for the conservation law.

Gerenuk said:
Yes, total energy is conserved if the only forces acting are inverse square laws.

The potential energy has to be taken over all distinct pairs AB, BC, AC so that the total potential energy for pointlike particles is
[tex]V=-\frac{Gm_Am_B}{|\vec{r}_A-\vec{r}_B|}-\frac{Gm_Bm_C}{|\vec{r}_B-\vec{r}_C|}-\frac{Gm_Cm_A}{|\vec{r}_C-\vec{r}_A|}[/tex]
Note that to be exact for extended planets there should be a detailed calculation for all constituents since some parts of the planet are closer than other parts.
Potential energy is like an indefinite integral, so that it is only defined up to an added constant. Which constant you add doesn't matter (here I added no constant), as potential energy is only used for the conservation law.

Thank you, that formula makes a lot of sense :) . I was allowed to treat the planets as point particles.

I used the formule in my mathematica file. However I get a smaller amount of mechanical energy at t=50 than at t=0 (decrease of 10.6%). I assume I did nothing wrong, because in the assignment it is asked why there is a change in mechanical energy.

Knowing that you don't know the details, it's probably hard to say with certainty why that is. But do you have any suggestions as to what it could possibly be?

You can first check if your program is OK. For example take two planets and see if you get perfect ellipses.

Apart from that I can only imagine that numeric instabilities in the calculations pile up as you do more of them. Like rounding errors or so. You could try introducing artifical very small errors in the calculation (add a small number at some steps) and then see if adding this number makes a lot of difference in the end result. If it does, then probably the rounding error eventually also prevail. You could try using a high precision math library and see if the result changes.

Also check to verify that the total angular momentum is conserved.

Bob S

Gerenuk said:
You can first check if your program is OK. For example take two planets and see if you get perfect ellipses.

Apart from that I can only imagine that numeric instabilities in the calculations pile up as you do more of them. Like rounding errors or so. You could try introducing artifical very small errors in the calculation (add a small number at some steps) and then see if adding this number makes a lot of difference in the end result. If it does, then probably the rounding error eventually also prevail. You could try using a high precision math library and see if the result changes.
Indeed, I get ellipses or hyperbolae, or parbolae depending on the chosen initial conditions.
I'll ask my instructor what this is about... kinda strange.

What is conservation of mechanical energy in a system?

Conservation of mechanical energy in a system refers to the principle that states the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system remains constant over time, despite any internal changes or transformations within the system.

What are the different forms of mechanical energy?

The two main forms of mechanical energy are kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is the energy stored in an object due to its position or configuration.

How does conservation of mechanical energy apply to real-life situations?

Conservation of mechanical energy can be observed in many real-life situations, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth, a rollercoaster moving along its track, or a ball rolling down a hill. In all of these cases, the total amount of mechanical energy in the system remains constant.

What are some factors that can affect the conservation of mechanical energy in a system?

Friction, air resistance, and other external forces can cause a loss of mechanical energy in a system. Additionally, if the system is not completely closed, energy can be transferred in or out of the system, affecting the conservation of mechanical energy.

How is conservation of mechanical energy related to the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Conservation of mechanical energy is a specific application of this law, focusing on the conservation of mechanical energy within a closed system.