Considering Delaying Grad School Application - Am I Crazy?

In summary, the individual originally planned to finish classes this summer and apply for graduate school next fall. However, due to disappointing GRE scores, they are considering delaying their application for another year. They plan on preparing for the general GRE and taking specific courses before taking the physics GRE. Instead of taking summer classes, they are considering doing research at a government lab or REU program. They are also considering taking a break from school and gaining more insight into their desired field of physics. They ask if this plan is crazy and if being a 5-year student would be looked down upon. They also ask for suggestions on what to do during the fall semester. One suggestion is to work an internship for credit, which the individual is open to but does
brentd49
I was orginally going to finish classes this summer and apply for graduate school for next Fall, but due to dissapointing gre scores I am considering delaying my application for another year.

This will let me prepare for the general gre and I will be able to take QM II and CM II before taking the physics gre.

I figure instead of taking those summer classes, I would try to do research at a government lab or reu program (though these only last for the summer). Then come back to school in the spring and finish up my requirements (which will just be some engineering courses, since I'm a dual degree major in EE & physics).

I ask if I'm crazy, because even with dissapointing gre scores I could still get into a descent school, but this way I would almost definitely get into my top choice. Plus it might be a good break from school and I'd probably learn some useful tips from other researches, as well as gain more insight into what field of physics I want to go into.

So, am i crazy?

Physics news on Phys.org
no..........

Any chance I'll be looked down upon, since I will be a 5 year student?

Also, anyone have any ideas what I could do during the fall semester? Seems all the research opportunities only last through the summer.

I want to go into neuroscience to make bc-i that will increase my learning capacity so I can create a drug that will give me immortality.. am i crazy?
You seem ok to me..

:smile: AHAHAHAHAH OH DEAR GOD, is that website for real? Those rings look more like brass knuckels to beat up the fools that pay this guy money!:smile:

I guess I should of used a more serious title to this thread...

Will your school allow you to get credit for working an internship for the semester? Then you could have time to study for your Gre, while getting the experience you want.

Last edited:
Will your school allow you to get credit for working an internship for the semester? Then you could have time to study for your Gre, while getting the experience you want.

That's what I planned on doing anyway--studying for the GRE, while getting experience. The credit is irrevelent. I don't really need the credit. I would just have to pay for tuition cost, anyway.

Related to Considering Delaying Grad School Application - Am I Crazy?

1. Should I delay my grad school application?

The decision to delay your grad school application ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Consider factors such as your financial situation, personal commitments, and career aspirations. It may also be helpful to speak with a trusted mentor or advisor for guidance.

2. Will delaying my grad school application hurt my chances of getting accepted?

In most cases, delaying your grad school application will not have a significant impact on your chances of acceptance. Admissions committees understand that applicants may need to take time off for various reasons and will take this into consideration. However, if you are concerned about your application timeline, it may be helpful to contact the admissions office for more information.

3. What are the potential benefits of delaying my grad school application?

Delaying your grad school application can have several potential benefits. It allows you to gain more work experience, save money, or pursue other opportunities that may enhance your application. It can also give you time to clarify your career goals and make a more informed decision about your graduate program.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of delaying my grad school application?

There are some potential drawbacks to delaying your grad school application. You may miss out on specific funding opportunities or have to start the program later than planned. It may also delay your overall career progression and may require you to retake standardized tests or update your application materials.

5. How should I communicate my decision to delay my grad school application to programs I have already applied to?

If you have already applied to graduate programs and have decided to delay your application, it is essential to inform the admissions office as soon as possible. Be honest and explain your reasons for delaying your application. They may be able to defer your application or provide guidance on how to reapply in the future.