1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Consolidated undrained vs unconsolidated undrained test

1. May 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the consolidated undrained , why there's only increase in pore water pressure due to deviator stress application ? Why in unconsolidated undrained test , why there is both increase in pore water pressure due to deviator stress application (ud) and also uc ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    IMO , in the consolidated undrained , the total pore pressure should be sum of ud and uc ...

Attached Files:

• 646.PNG
      646.PNG
      File size:
      17.1 KB
      Views:
    • 647.png
      647.png
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • 648.PNG
      648.PNG
      File size:
      74.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. May 25, 2017 #3
    No , can you help ?

5. May 26, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not my field but....

Initially I shared your confusion. The only thing I can see is that in 12:10 there are two phases described. Drainage is allowed in the first phase which is when external chamber pressure is applied. If the chamber is open to allow drainage then pressure inside doesn't/can't build up.

In 2:11 the chamber is sealed when external pressure is applied so the pressure inside can increase.

I might be wrong but that's the only way I could make sense of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted