Variation of (pore pressure) due to consolidation

In summary, the conversation discusses the variation of pore pressure across depth and why it has a parabolic shape. There is a disagreement about whether it should be linearly decreasing or increasing with depth, and the context is in soil. The speaker mentions a classic model by Terzaghi and Peck and requests more time to review the material before providing an answer.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

In the last picture , we can see that at time between 0 and infinity , the variation of pore pressure across depth is parabolic curve , why is it so ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's incorrect . I think it should be linearly decrease with depth . This is because the top part will receive max force from the applied force . The influnece of force decrease with the depth

Attachments

• 738.PNG
    738.PNG
    35.4 KB · Views: 478
  • 740.png
    740.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 437
  • 741.png
    741.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 471
  • 742.png
    742.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 743.png
    743.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
tzx9633 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's incorrect . I think it should be linearly decrease with depth . This is because the top part will receive max force from the applied force . The influnece of force decrease with the depth
I'm not completely clear what you are saying here. What are you conceiving as the source of the applied force? You have two components: loading from the solid portion of the soil, sediment or rock and loading from the fluid content of the pore space. In an equilibrium situation the solid load is supported by the soil/rock and the fluid load by the pore space content. Both of these are proportional to depth and increase with depth, not decrease, as you appear to suggest.

One of your diagrams looks like the classic model from Terzaghi and Peck's classic paper published 50+ years ago, which describes a non-equilibrium condition and relates to the parabolic curve you have been asked to account for.

Likes jim mcnamara
Ophiolite said:
I'm not completely clear what you are saying here. What are you conceiving as the source of the applied force? You have two components: loading from the solid portion of the soil, sediment or rock and loading from the fluid content of the pore space. In an equilibrium situation the solid load is supported by the soil/rock and the fluid load by the pore space content. Both of these are proportional to depth and increase with depth, not decrease, as you appear to suggest.

One of your diagrams looks like the classic model from Terzaghi and Peck's classic paper published 50+ years ago, which describes a non-equilibrium condition and relates to the parabolic curve you have been asked to account for.
if it's increasign down the depth , why the graph of pore pressure has parabolic shape ? Sholdnt it has a straight line graph ?

Ophiolite said:

Is there anything wrong with the notes ? If so , then , why the graph has parabolic shape ?

I need to take a thorough look at all the material. I'll aim to get back to you within 24hours. It would be helpful to know what context this is in. Are you considering soils (which I know little about) or sediments (where I have a pretty solid grounding)?

Ophiolite said:
I need to take a thorough look at all the material. I'll aim to get back to you within 24hours. It would be helpful to know what context this is in. Are you considering soils (which I know little about) or sediments (where I have a pretty solid grounding)?
Hi , it the soil . Do you have any updates now ?

1. What is pore pressure?

Pore pressure is the pressure exerted by fluids (such as water or oil) that are trapped in the pores of a material, such as soil or rock.

2. How does consolidation affect pore pressure?

Consolidation is the process by which a soil or rock becomes more compact under increasing pressure. As the material becomes more compact, the pore spaces decrease and the pore pressure increases.

3. What factors contribute to the variation of pore pressure due to consolidation?

The variation of pore pressure due to consolidation is influenced by factors such as the initial void ratio of the material, the rate of consolidation, the permeability of the material, and the applied load.

4. Why is it important to study the variation of pore pressure due to consolidation?

Understanding the variation of pore pressure due to consolidation is crucial in geotechnical engineering and construction projects. It can affect the stability of structures built on or in the ground, as well as the behavior of slopes and retaining walls.

5. How is the variation of pore pressure due to consolidation measured and analyzed?

The variation of pore pressure due to consolidation is typically measured through the use of piezometers, which are instruments that measure the pressure of water in the pores of the material. The data collected from piezometers is then analyzed using consolidation tests and mathematical models, such as Terzaghi's one-dimensional consolidation theory.