1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variation of (pore pressure) due to consolidation

1. Nov 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the last picture , we can see that at time between 0 and infinity , the variation of pore pressure across depth is parabolic curve , why is it so ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it's incorrect . I think it should be linearly decrease with depth . This is because the top part will receive max force from the applied force . The influnece of force decrease with the depth

Attached Files:

• 738.PNG
      738.PNG
      File size:
      111.5 KB
      Views:
    • 740.png
      740.png
      File size:
      157.3 KB
      Views:
    • 741.png
      741.png
      File size:
      126.2 KB
      Views:
    • 742.png
      742.png
      File size:
      143.3 KB
      Views:
    • 743.png
      743.png
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Nov 17, 2017 #3
    I'm not completely clear what you are saying here. What are you conceiving as the source of the applied force? You have two components: loading from the solid portion of the soil, sediment or rock and loading from the fluid content of the pore space. In an equilibrium situation the solid load is supported by the soil/rock and the fluid load by the pore space content. Both of these are proportional to depth and increase with depth, not decrease, as you appear to suggest.

One of your diagrams looks like the classic model from Terzaghi and Peck's classic paper published 50+ years ago, which describes a non-equilibrium condition and relates to the parabolic curve you have been asked to account for.

5. Nov 18, 2017 #4
    if it's increasign down the depth , why the graph of pore pressure has parabolic shape ? Sholdnt it has a straight line graph ?

6. Nov 19, 2017 #5
    Is there anything wrong with the notes ? If so , then , why the graph has parabolic shape ?

7. Nov 19, 2017 #6
    I need to take a thorough look at all the material. I'll aim to get back to you within 24hours. It would be helpful to know what context this is in. Are you considering soils (which I know little about) or sediments (where I have a pretty solid grounding)?

8. Nov 24, 2017 #7
    Hi , it the soil . Do you have any updates now ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted