Power Calculation for a Car Accelerating to 87 km/hr in 6.3 s | 940 kg Mass

In summary: Assuming the car is travelling at 24.167 m/s, the work done against the air resistance force is: .5(940 kg)(24.167 m/s)^2-W=FdcosΘ
TraceBusta
A car manufacturer claims that their car can accelerate from rest to 87 km/hr in 6.3 s. The car's mass is 940 kg. Assuming that this performance is achieved at constant power, determine the power developed by the car's engine.
Ok, I solved the problem by first solving for constant acceleration. a=[v(f)-v(0)]/t
Then using that I found the Force, using F=ma. Then plugging into P=F(dot)v

The answer that i got, 87143.056W is wrong. I think it could be because the problem says it is constant power, not constant acceleration.

How can I go about solving this problem? I don't really understand the concept of constant power instead of constant acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember what power is. The unit for power, watts, is equal to joules per second. Power is energy transferred in a given amount of time. Can you solve the problem using energy concepts?

ok, i know that Kinetic energy is = .5mv^2

so the kinetic energy at v=87 km/hr (24.167 m/s) is .5(940 kg)(24.167 m/s)^2= 11358.49 J. I don't know where to go from here.
I divided it by 6.3 sec to get 1802.93 J/s, but that is wrong. Atleast the units are right, heh.

I think you have the right idea and your numbers look right. Was there any discussion of thermodynamic efficiency in your class or your textbook?

in the last lecture the prof. talked about it for a few minutes at the end. my book has some examples, but nothing related to this problem, (or so i think)

TraceBusta said:
in the last lecture the prof. talked about it for a few minutes at the end. my book has some examples, but nothing related to this problem, (or so i think)

That may be a big clue! Just to get an idea is "the answer" approximately 3 times as large as the one you got?

well i won't know the right answer until the computer says "OK"after i enter it. until then it just says "NO"

I'm curious, why would it be 3 times larger?

TraceBusta said:
well i won't know the right answer until the computer says "OK"after i enter it. until then it just says "NO"

I'm curious, why would it be 3 times larger?

It's only a guess but thermodynamic efficiency is generally about 30%

If I might ask, how do you know the answer you got is wrong?

it says "no" when i put in a wrong answer

TraceBusta said:
ok, i know that Kinetic energy is = .5mv^2

so the kinetic energy at v=87 km/hr (24.167 m/s) is .5(940 kg)(24.167 m/s)^2= 11358.49 J. .

24.167^2*940/2 = 274500 :smile:

ehild

Problem

How would you find this same type of problem, but in addition, there's a constant air resistance force? Thanks.

Subtract work done by frictional forces from the total energy. (W=FdcosΘ)

1. What is constant power?

Constant power refers to a situation where the power output of a system remains the same over time. This means that the rate at which energy is consumed or produced by the system remains constant, regardless of any changes that may occur in the system.

2. How is constant power measured?

Constant power is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW), which represent the rate at which energy is consumed or produced per unit of time. This can be measured using a power meter, which measures the flow of electrical energy in a circuit, or by calculating the power based on voltage and current measurements.

3. What are some examples of constant power?

Some examples of constant power include a light bulb that is turned on and remains at the same brightness, a battery-powered device that maintains the same level of performance until the battery runs out, or a generator that produces the same amount of electricity regardless of the load connected to it.

4. How does constant power differ from constant voltage or current?

Constant power differs from constant voltage and constant current in that it takes into account both voltage and current in the system. In a constant voltage system, the voltage remains the same while the current may vary. In a constant current system, the current remains the same while the voltage may vary. However, in a constant power system, both voltage and current may vary in order to maintain a constant power output.

5. Why is constant power important in science?

Constant power is important in science because it allows for the accurate measurement and control of energy consumption or production in a system. It also helps to ensure the stability and reliability of systems that require a constant power output, such as electronic devices or power grids. Additionally, understanding and utilizing constant power can lead to more efficient and sustainable energy use.