1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant Power

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    A car manufacturer claims that their car can accelerate from rest to 87 km/hr in 6.3 s. The car's mass is 940 kg. Assuming that this performance is achieved at constant power, determine the power developed by the car's engine.
    Ok, I solved the problem by first solving for constant acceleration. a=[v(f)-v(0)]/t
    Then using that I found the Force, using F=ma. Then plugging into P=F(dot)v

The answer that i got, 87143.056W is wrong. I think it could be because the problem says it is constant power, not constant acceleration.

How can I go about solving this problem? I dont really understand the concept of constant power instead of constant acceleration
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2
    Remember what power is. The unit for power, watts, is equal to joules per second. Power is energy transfered in a given amount of time. Can you solve the problem using energy concepts?
  4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    ok, i know that Kinetic energy is = .5mv^2

so the kinetic energy at v=87 km/hr (24.167 m/s) is .5(940 kg)(24.167 m/s)^2= 11358.49 J. I dont know where to go from here.
    I divided it by 6.3 sec to get 1802.93 J/s, but that is wrong. Atleast the units are right, heh.
  5. Sep 26, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have the right idea and your numbers look right. Was there any discussion of thermodynamic efficiency in your class or your textbook?
  6. Sep 26, 2004 #5
    in the last lecture the prof. talked about it for a few minutes at the end. my book has some examples, but nothing related to this problem, (or so i think)
  7. Sep 26, 2004 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That may be a big clue! Just to get an idea is "the answer" approximately 3 times as large as the one you got?
  8. Sep 26, 2004 #7
    well i won't know the right answer until the computer says "OK"after i enter it. until then it just says "NO"

I'm curious, why would it be 3 times larger?
  9. Sep 27, 2004 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's only a guess but thermodynamic efficiency is generally about 30%

If I might ask, how do you know the answer you got is wrong?
  10. Sep 27, 2004 #9
    it says "no" when i put in a wrong answer
  11. Sep 27, 2004 #10

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

24.167^2*940/2 = 274500 :smile:

12. Oct 4, 2004 #11

How would you find this same type of problem, but in addition, there's a constant air resistance force? Thanks.
  13. Oct 4, 2004 #12
    Subtract work done by frictional forces from the total energy. (W=FdcosΘ)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?