Constants definition - turbulent vel. profile

In summary, the problem is that the model for turbulent flow between parallel flat plates doesn't work if b=0. However, if \rho \bar{u'v'} =\frac{by+ey^3}{c+dy^2}, then it works.
jkr

Homework Statement

Hello!

I need some help with a problem:

Problem: Turbulent flow beteween parallel flat plates.

It is defined:

[ tex ] \tau = \mu \frac{d\bar{u}}{dy}-\rho\bar{u'v'} [ \tex ]

The exercise gives that [ tex ] \tau = a y [ \tex ] and [ tex ] \rho\bar{u'v'} = \frac{by}{c+dy^2} [ \tex ], where [ tex ] a,b,c,d[ \tex ] are constants.

I need to know: How can I choose these constants? I'm looking for an aproximate solution.

Until now, I used just the no-slip condition at [ tex ] \pm H [ \tex ] and [ tex ] \frac{du(y=0)}{dy}=0 [ \tex ]

Tks for the help!

Homework Equations

[ tex ] \tau = \mu \frac{d\bar{u}}{dy}-\rho\bar{u'v'} [ \tex ]
[ tex ] \tau = a y [ \tex ]
[ tex ] \rho\bar{u'v'} = \frac{by}{c+dy^2} [ \tex ]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
jkr said:
Hello!

I need some help with a problem:

Problem: Turbulent flow beteween parallel flat plates.

It is defined:

[tex] \tau = \mu \frac{d\bar{u}}{dy}-\rho\bar{u'v'} [/tex]

The exercise gives that [tex] \tau = a y [/tex] and [tex] \rho\bar{u'v'} = \frac{by}{c+dy^2} [/tex], where [tex] a,b,c,d[/tex] are constants.

I need to know: How can I choose these constants? I'm looking for an aproximate solution.

Until now, I used just the no-slip condition at [tex] \pm H [/tex] and [tex] \frac{du(y=0)}{dy}=0 [/tex]

Tks for the help!

Homework Equations

[tex] \tau = \mu \frac{d\bar{u}}{dy}-\rho\bar{u'v'} [/tex]
[tex] \tau = a y [/tex]
[tex] \rho\bar{u'v'} = \frac{by}{c+dy^2} [/tex]
Hi jkr! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I'm astonished that you posted your question with its non-functioning itex formatting instructions. I have fixed them for you. Don't include unnecessary spaces inside the [...] instruction. And its [/tex] NOT [\tex].

I can't help you with a fluidics question, but now maybe someone else can. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tks a lot for this! =D

Hi again,

If [tex] \rho \bar{u'v'} =0 [/tex] at [tex] y = \pm H [/tex] then the model [tex] \rho \bar{u'v'}=\frac{by}{c+dy^2} [/tex] doesn't work because [tex] b=0.[/tex]
However, for the case
[tex] \rho \bar{u'v'} =\frac{by+ey^3}{c+dy^2},[/tex] How does it work?

[]s

Hello!

The constants in this problem represent physical properties of the system, such as viscosity and density. In order to choose these constants, you will need to gather information about the specific system you are studying. This may include measurements of the flow, properties of the fluid being used, and any other relevant data. Once you have this information, you can use it to solve for the constants in the equations provided.

As for an approximate solution, you can use numerical methods or simplifications of the equations to find a solution. However, it is important to note that an exact solution may not be possible due to the complex nature of turbulent flow. It is also important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of your chosen solution method to ensure it accurately reflects the behavior of your system.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your problem.

1. What is the definition of turbulent velocity profile?

The definition of turbulent velocity profile is a description of the velocity distribution in a turbulent flow. It shows the variation of velocity with respect to distance from the boundary, and is characterized by fluctuations and eddies that occur at different scales.

2. How is turbulent velocity profile different from laminar velocity profile?

Turbulent velocity profile differs from laminar velocity profile in that it is more irregular and chaotic. In laminar flow, the velocity profile is smooth and follows a parabolic shape, whereas in turbulent flow, the profile is highly fluctuating and does not follow a specific pattern.

3. What are the key constants that define turbulent velocity profile?

The key constants that define turbulent velocity profile are the Reynolds number, the turbulent viscosity, and the turbulent kinetic energy. These constants are used in equations such as the Navier-Stokes equations to describe the behavior of turbulent flows.

4. How do these constants affect the shape of the turbulent velocity profile?

The Reynolds number affects the overall shape of the turbulent velocity profile by determining the balance between inertial and viscous forces. A higher Reynolds number results in a more chaotic and irregular profile. The turbulent viscosity and kinetic energy also play a role in shaping the profile by determining the intensity of the fluctuations and eddies.

5. Why is understanding turbulent velocity profile important in science?

Understanding turbulent velocity profile is important in science because turbulence is a common occurrence in many natural and industrial processes, such as air and water flow, combustion, and chemical reactions. Accurately predicting and controlling turbulent flows is crucial in fields such as aviation, meteorology, and engineering, and requires a thorough understanding of the underlying velocity profile.