1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing a Liquid Mirror using gallium,Indium, tin alloy

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I am an an artist hoping that you scientists can kindly help me with some advice.
    I am making a simple liquid mirror as part of a project about reflected image. It will spin and stop and spin and stop etc.
    I have made a polyester resin parabola as a receptical (so that I can use less alloy) and am spinning it on a record player (for testing). I am using a gallium, indium, tin alloy as, in uk, it is by far cheaper than gallium indium or simply gallium.
    It kind of works but not perfectly. Firstly, almost a thin scum seems to gather on the surface whereas I am looking for a real mirror finish. Is that the tin element or would it work like that even with pure gallium? Secondly, when I stop the spin, most of the alloy rolls back into the centre of the resin container. I had (perhaps niavely) expected it all to roll back rather than have a layer cling to the sides. I would be very grateful for any advice you can offer?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

From what little I know of liquid mirrors, the real 'art' (sorry..) is maintaining the rotation rate perfectly constant: any high frequency jitter will result in surface waves, destroying the optical figure.

In terms of the surface scum- it's most likely contamination- AFAIK, the solution is to regularly scrape off that layer (this was true for Hg mirrors). Material that 'clings' to the resin is probably wetting the resin- I don't know enough of the relevant chemistry to suggest a surface treatment, tho.

4. Mar 5, 2012 #3
    Well I also know very little about liquid mirrors, but what I found about Galinstan it is really sticky and adhere to almost anything. To prevent it the surface has to be treated with gallium oxide (maybe there other treatments, but i do not know).
    About that scum - From what i have seen it resmbles colling tin so maybe higher temperature might help. But i do not know if it is safe to heat Galinstan so check it first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook