Construction of a magnetic field over radioactive waste

In summary: Radioactive materials will lose energy over time and eventually decay into harmless materials. This is what happened at Chernobyl, the nuclear reactor exploded and released a huge amount of radiation into the atmosphere.
I eat Comets
Hi all,

Was reading articles on neutron stars and black holes when I started thinking about magnetic fields. I think it is a fact that magnetic shields on Earth block out the harmful radioactive solar flares that come from the sun. So in the article i was reading it mentioned something about scientists being able to make magnetic fields but none as strong as that of a neutron star's.

So i was thinking if they can make large enough magnetic fields to cover that of a nuclear power plant or a nuclear waste dump or whatever then why don't they. As it is proven that humans can safely pass through them by the mere fact that we have a space station i don't see why you couldn't put one over a power plant to reduce the already quite slim chances of an accident like Chernobyl happening again.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason solar flares can be mitigated by the Earths magnetic field is because they are charged particles. Radioactive waste, for the most part, is not. In incident like Chernobyl, the explosion released large amounts of radioactive material into the surrounding area. This materials was not ionized, and therefor was neutral, not charged, and could not have been stopped by any magnetic field.

Also, you may have a misunderstanding of what radiation is. I suggest reading the following article and following some of the links there to find out more.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation

I eat Comets said:
Hi all,

Was reading articles on neutron stars and black holes when I started thinking about magnetic fields. I think it is a fact that magnetic shields on Earth block out the harmful radioactive solar flares that come from the sun. So in the article i was reading it mentioned something about scientists being able to make magnetic fields but none as strong as that of a neutron star's.

So i was thinking if they can make large enough magnetic fields to cover that of a nuclear power plant or a nuclear waste dump or whatever then why don't they. As it is proven that humans can safely pass through them by the mere fact that we have a space station i don't see why you couldn't put one over a power plant to reduce the already quite slim chances of an accident like Chernobyl happening again.

Thanks

This is puzzling. If a radioactive plant also emits gamma rays and neutrons, how would the presence of large magnetic field do anything?

And this is ignoring the feasibility of creating such a large magnetic field in the first place.

Zz.

@ I eat Comets

You are basically comparing two different scenarios.
The Earth's magnetic field operates over a vast distance and deflects a whole range of fast charged particles from the Sun. It also causes them to spiral and this increases their path through the atmosphere - causing them to lose energy, slowly along the path before they get down to the ground.
Emitted charged particles are not a problem with radioactive waste - Alpha particles only travel a few cm in air and Beta Particles (fast electrons) are also quickly absorbed. Screening is needed to cope with neutrons and gamma rays which don't arrive in deadly quantities from outer space. As mentioned above, it's the nasty radioactive isotopes that need to be contained for thousands of years, in some cases (there will be some of these on the Sun but it doesn't affect us!). Keeping the waste cool is also important so that the nasty stuff doesn't boil off into the atmosphere.

Yes radioactivity I am going to have to look into so thanks for the link. @ ZapperZ isn't it the radioactive rays that are dangerous? Maybe not i don't know? Thanks anyway i was just wondering.

I eat Comets said:
Yes radioactivity I am going to have to look into so thanks for the link. @ ZapperZ isn't it the radioactive rays that are dangerous? Maybe not i don't know? Thanks anyway i was just wondering.

When a particle decays and releases radiation it can release one of several types of particles. Alpha and Beta particles are charged particles that don't penetrate very far through materials. They are only dangerous if the radioactive material gets into your body before it decays, such as inhaling Radon gas or ingesting radioactive Iodine. Neutrons are particles that are uncharged, which allows them to penetrate a large amount of material before being stopped. Gamma Rays are simply extremely high energy light that can penetrate a lot of material as well. Both Neutrons and Gamma rays are capable of harming you at a good distance from the decaying material and both require lots of dense shielding to mitigate. Neither of them can be stopped by magnetic fields either.

Also, as I said in my first post, one of the most dangerous things is for the radioactive material to escape into the environment before it decays. This is what happened in the Fukushima incident early last year. A magnetic field would not stop this from happening either, as the atoms are all neutral.

1. How is a magnetic field created over radioactive waste?

A magnetic field can be created using strong magnets or electromagnets that are placed over the radioactive waste. This creates a force that will repel the radioactive particles, preventing them from escaping into the environment.

2. Will a magnetic field completely contain radioactive waste?

No, a magnetic field will not completely contain radioactive waste. It can only repel the radioactive particles and prevent them from spreading, but it cannot eliminate them entirely. Other containment methods, such as physical barriers and specialized containers, may also be necessary.

3. How effective is a magnetic field in containing radioactive waste?

The effectiveness of a magnetic field in containing radioactive waste depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnets used, the type and amount of radioactive material present, and the overall design of the containment system. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the magnetic field to ensure its effectiveness.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a magnetic field for radioactive waste containment?

While a magnetic field itself is not harmful, there are potential risks associated with the use of magnets or electromagnets, such as interference with electronic equipment and the possibility of accidental exposure to strong magnetic fields. It is important for proper safety measures to be in place when working with magnetic fields.

5. Can a magnetic field be used for all types of radioactive waste?

A magnetic field may be effective in containing certain types of radioactive waste, such as those with high levels of ferromagnetic elements. However, it may not be suitable for all types of radioactive material. It is important to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing before implementing a magnetic field containment system for radioactive waste.