Contains closed set Accumulation points?

In summary, Michal from Slovakia is a student struggling with understanding how to prove that every closed set contains all accumulation points. They do not have a specific definition for closed sets or accumulation points, but they are working with functions and intervals in their studies. They hope that someone can help them understand this concept better.
xxxmisko

Homework Statement

Hello, I am here a novice and my English is very bad. I am a student and now we learning about sets. I have got a problem, how to proof, that every closed set contains all accumulation points? I know / hope, that should, but I want to proof it. I hope, that somebody will help me. Have a nice day, Michal, Slovakia

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What definition of "closed set" are you using? There are several different but equivalent definitions of "closed set"- and in mathematics, proofs often use the specific words of definitions. No one can help you prove this without knowing what definition you are using.

HallsofIvy said:
What definition of "closed set" are you using? There are several different but equivalent definitions of "closed set"- and in mathematics, proofs often use the specific words of definitions. No one can help you prove this without knowing what definition you are using.

I do not know, how do you think it, but this is example for my closed set

Closed interval [a,b] is closed subset of real numbers

We have not in school definition of closed and opened set yet. But we are working with functions too, also it should be a definition of intervals of the function -set of function of definite domain? I really do not know. I hope, that do you understand me. Thanks for your fast answer

If you do not know the definition of "closed set", then you cannot possibly prove anything about them! Examples will not provide proofs. Since you have a specific definition of "closed interval" you might be able to prove that a closed interval contains all its accumulation points. What is your definition of "accumulation point"?

HallsofIvy said:
If you do not know the definition of "closed set", then you cannot possibly prove anything about them! Examples will not provide proofs. Since you have a specific definition of "closed interval" you might be able to prove that a closed interval contains all its accumulation points. What is your definition of "accumulation point"?

Let (zero) ∅≠M⊂R. Point a∈R is accumulation point of set M, if for every O_{ε}°(a) exists x∈M, x∈O_{ε}°(a).

I hope that there will be no problem with syntax, because I am not using LaTex yet

What does it mean for a set to contain closed set accumulation points?

A set contains closed set accumulation points if it contains all of its limit points.

What are limit points?

Limit points, also known as accumulation points, are points in a set where every neighborhood of the point contains at least one point from the set.

How are closed set accumulation points different from open set accumulation points?

Closed set accumulation points are points that are contained within the set, while open set accumulation points are points that are not necessarily contained within the set but are still limit points.

Why is it important for a set to contain closed set accumulation points?

Having closed set accumulation points ensures that the set is complete and that all of its limit points are included. This is important in many areas of mathematics, including real analysis and topology.

Can a set contain both open and closed set accumulation points?

Yes, a set can contain both open and closed set accumulation points. For example, the set [0,1] contains both 0 and 1 as closed set accumulation points, while all other points are open set accumulation points.