Continuity of a complex function defined on the union of an open and closed set

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ridethespiral
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(i) Let U and V be open subsets of C with a function f defined on [tex]U \cup V[/tex] suppose that both restrictions, [tex]f_u \mathrm{and} f_v[/tex] are continuous. Show that f is continuous.

(ii) Illustrate by a specific example that this may not hold if one of the sets U, V is not open.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



Now I'm pretty sure I can prove the first part. As, since f is continuous on U and V then there exists a [tex]\delta_1[/tex] and on U there will be a [tex]\delta_2[/tex] and then taking the minimum of these will put [tex]|f(z) - f(w)| < \epsilon[/tex] for all epsilon. This works because U and V are open, as it ensures that for each w, there will be a delta disc such that z is in either U or V.

I'm pretty stumped as to an example for the second part. I think I get why it may not hold if U or V is not open, as there will not always be a delta disc around a point in a closed set which is completely contained in that set. But I can't think of a way to use this to arrive at an example.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I'm not really sure how to use the logarithm. Is it because if you take the principal logarithm, there will be a discontinuity in the principal argument going from -π to π? So if you take the logarithm defined on [tex]\mathbb{C} \backslash {(-\pi, \pi]}[/tex] then the set isn't open. Or perhaps, take U to be the upper half plane and V to be the lower, and the principal argument will be discontinuous? I'm not sure if this is making sense.

I'm confusing myself now. Our lecturer taught this module from a theoretical point of view but decides to make the exam this type of problem solving, which he hasn't really prepared us for. Thanks for any help.
 
Hint: Consider what can happen if [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are disjoint and [itex]f[/itex] is constant on [itex]U[/itex] and constant on [itex]V[/itex].