1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of a complex function defined on the union of an open and closed set

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(i) Let U and V be open subsets of C with a function f defined on [tex] U \cup V[/tex] suppose that both restrictions, [tex] f_u \mathrm{and} f_v [/tex] are continuous. Show that f is continuous.

(ii) Illustrate by a specific example that this may not hold if one of the sets U, V is not open.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I'm pretty sure I can prove the first part. As, since f is continuous on U and V then there exists a [tex] \delta_1 [/tex] and on U there will be a [tex] \delta_2 [/tex] and then taking the minimum of these will put [tex] |f(z) - f(w)| < \epsilon [/tex] for all epsilon. This works because U and V are open, as it ensures that for each w, there will be a delta disc such that z is in either U or V.

I'm pretty stumped as to an example for the second part. I think I get why it may not hold if U or V is not open, as there will not always be a delta disc around a point in a closed set which is completely contained in that set. But I can't think of a way to use this to arrive at an example.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hint: complex logarithm

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    Hmm, I'm not really sure how to use the logarithm. Is it because if you take the principal logarithm, there will be a discontinuity in the principal argument going from -π to π? So if you take the logarithm defined on [tex] \mathbb{C} \backslash {(-\pi, \pi]} [/tex] then the set isn't open. Or perhaps, take U to be the upper half plane and V to be the lower, and the principal argument will be discontinuous? I'm not sure if this is making sense.

I'm confusing myself now. Our lecturer taught this module from a theoretical point of view but decides to make the exam this type of problem solving, which he hasn't really prepared us for. Thanks for any help.

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: Consider what can happen if [itex]U[/itex] and [itex]V[/itex] are disjoint and [itex]f[/itex] is constant on [itex]U[/itex] and constant on [itex]V[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook