1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of a Rational Function at a number help

1. Aug 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find continuity of function f(x)= (x^2-1)/(x-1) at x = 1

2. Relevant equations

limit f(x) as x-> = L

3. The attempt at a solution

i KNOW it can be easily solved by stating that at x = 1 function becomes infinity,so discontinous it is actually...But as we do in finding domain and range of rational functions,we make an altered functions by factorization...in this case by factorization f(x) = x+1 which when x = 1 give limit = 2....I couldn't understand the notion here why we don't factorize here?? please tell me thoroughly in layman's terms

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

You have the limit right. Only for ##x \neq 1,## does $$\frac{x^2 - 1}{x-1} = x + 1$$

Since you are not interested in what happens to the function at x=1 (even though you know it is discontinuous and the value of f(1) does not exist) you may factorise to find the limit as you have done.

4. Aug 16, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer to your question, whether [itex](x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] is continuous at x= 1 or not is, clearly, that is it NOT continuous there. It is not even defined at x= 1! (However, the function does NOT "become infinity" at x= 1 nor does it "go to infinity" as x approaches 1.)

IF the question were, instead, whether the function defined as "[itex]f(x)= (x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] if x is NOT equal to 1, f(1)= 2" is continuous at x= 1, then the answer is "yes".

5. Aug 16, 2013 #4
    but if we factorize it the limit becomes 2...

6. Aug 16, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function that you wrote, which is
    [tex] f(x) = x^2 - \frac{1}{x} -1[/tex]
    is obviously finite and continuous at x=1.

I interpreted the question exactly as written and when read/parsed by standard rules. If you had meant
    [tex] f(x) = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]
    you would have know to use brackets, like this: f(x) = (x^2-1)/(x-1).

7. Aug 16, 2013 #6
    pardon my brain-fart sire

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted