Continuity of a Rational Function at a number help

In summary, the discussion revolved around finding the continuity of the function f(x)= (x^2-1)/(x-1) at x=1. It was concluded that the function is not continuous at x=1, as it is not even defined there. The limit of the function as x approaches 1 was also discussed, which was found to be 2 by factorizing the function. However, it was pointed out that the question may have been misinterpreted and the correct function is f(x)= (x^2-1)/(x-1), which is finite and continuous at x=1.
kashan123999

Homework Statement

Find continuity of function f(x)= (x^2-1)/(x-1) at x = 1

Homework Equations

limit f(x) as x-> = L

The Attempt at a Solution

i KNOW it can be easily solved by stating that at x = 1 function becomes infinity,so discontinous it is actually...But as we do in finding domain and range of rational functions,we make an altered functions by factorization...in this case by factorization f(x) = x+1 which when x = 1 give limit = 2...I couldn't understand the notion here why we don't factorize here?? please tell me thoroughly in layman's terms

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the limit right. Only for ##x \neq 1,## does $$\frac{x^2 - 1}{x-1} = x + 1$$

Since you are not interested in what happens to the function at x=1 (even though you know it is discontinuous and the value of f(1) does not exist) you may factorise to find the limit as you have done.

The answer to your question, whether [itex](x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] is continuous at x= 1 or not is, clearly, that is it NOT continuous there. It is not even defined at x= 1! (However, the function does NOT "become infinity" at x= 1 nor does it "go to infinity" as x approaches 1.)

IF the question were, instead, whether the function defined as "[itex]f(x)= (x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] if x is NOT equal to 1, f(1)= 2" is continuous at x= 1, then the answer is "yes".

HallsofIvy said:
The answer to your question, whether [itex](x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] is continuous at x= 1 or not is, clearly, that is it NOT continuous there. It is not even defined at x= 1! (However, the function does NOT "become infinity" at x= 1 nor does it "go to infinity" as x approaches 1.)

IF the question were, instead, whether the function defined as "[itex]f(x)= (x^2- 1)/(x- 1)[/itex] if x is NOT equal to 1, f(1)= 2" is continuous at x= 1, then the answer is "yes".

but if we factorize it the limit becomes 2...

kashan123999 said:

Homework Statement

Find continuity of function f(x)= x^2-1/x-1 at x = 1

Homework Equations

limit f(x) as x-> = L

The Attempt at a Solution

i KNOW it can be easily solved by stating that at x = 1 function becomes infinity,so discontinous it is actually...But as we do in finding domain and range of rational functions,we make an altered functions by factorization...in this case by factorization f(x) = x+1 which when x = 1 give limit = 2...I couldn't understand the notion here why we don't factorize here?? please tell me thoroughly in layman's terms

The function that you wrote, which is
[tex] f(x) = x^2 - \frac{1}{x} -1[/tex]
is obviously finite and continuous at x=1.

I interpreted the question exactly as written and when read/parsed by standard rules. If you had meant
[tex] f(x) = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]
you would have know to use brackets, like this: f(x) = (x^2-1)/(x-1).

Ray Vickson said:
The function that you wrote, which is
[tex] f(x) = x^2 - \frac{1}{x} -1[/tex]
is obviously finite and continuous at x=1.

I interpreted the question exactly as written and when read/parsed by standard rules. If you had meant
[tex] f(x) = \frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]
you would have know to use brackets, like this: f(x) = (x^2-1)/(x-1).

pardon my brain-fart sire

What is the definition of continuity of a rational function at a number?

Continuity of a rational function at a number means that the function is defined and has a finite value at that number, and the limit of the function as x approaches that number exists and is equal to the value of the function at that number.

How do you determine if a rational function is continuous at a number?

To determine if a rational function is continuous at a number, you need to check three conditions: 1) the function is defined at that number, 2) the limit of the function as x approaches that number exists, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at that number.

What are the types of discontinuities in a rational function?

The types of discontinuities in a rational function are removable, jump, and infinite. A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole in the graph of the function, a jump discontinuity occurs when there is a jump in the graph, and an infinite discontinuity occurs when the limit of the function at a certain number is either positive or negative infinity.

Can a rational function be continuous at a number but not differentiable at that number?

Yes, a rational function can be continuous at a number but not differentiable at that number. This can happen when there is a sharp corner or a vertical tangent at that number, which would make the derivative undefined.

How can you use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show continuity of a rational function at a number?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b], then it takes on every value between f(a) and f(b). Therefore, to show continuity of a rational function at a number, you can show that the function takes on every value between the limit and the value of the function at that number, using the Intermediate Value Theorem.