1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

To solve a problem in a book, I need to know whether or not the following is true:

Let f be a real-valued, decreasing differentiable function defined on the interval [itex] [1, \infty)[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = 0[/itex]. Then the derivative of f is continuous.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried working directly with the definitions (decreasing function, continuity, derivative), but got nowhere. Consulted various references (such as baby Rudin and Hobson's Theory of Functions of a Real Variable), with no luck. Spent time Googling combinations of the various terms, again with no results.

I suspect that the above statement is true. The canonical example of a differentiable function whose derivative is not continuous (see here) is not monotone in any interval containing the origin. However, I can't find either a proof or a counterexample.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your canonical example may not be monotone near the origin, but if you change a bit you can make one that is. Suppose you subtract say, 3x?

4. Oct 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the suggestion! By subtracting 3x from the function, we subtract 3 from the derivative. That makes the derivative negative and so the original function is monotone decreasing. I'll have to think about how to apply that to my original question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook