Continuity problems for my Analysis class

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the continuity of a function (f O g)(x) in three ways: using the epsilon delta definition, the sequence definition, and the open set definition. The conversation also touches on proving the inverse of an open set in R is also open.
LauraLovies
I am having a lot of difficulty on my continuity problems for my Analysis class.

1. Prove that (f O g)(x) = f(g(x)) is continuous at any point p in R in three ways a.) Using the episolon delta definition of continuity, b.) using the sequence definition of continuity, and c.) using the open set definition of continuity.

2. Prove that if U is an open set in R, then its inverse is open.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LauraLovies! :smile:

(I assume f and g are both continuous? and have a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

f and g are both continuous so i know that there exists some [tex]\epsilon > 0 and greater than zero that fulfills the continuity definition. It just seems to obvious to me that i don't even know where to start. \delta[/tex]

LauraLovies said:
f and g are both continuous so i know that there exists some \epsilon > 0 and greater than zero that fulfills the continuity definition. It just seems to obvious to me that i don't even know where to start. \delta

Start with an εf and δf, and an εg and δg, and then construct a proof using a new ε and δ based on them. :smile:

Which sequence definition? that lim f(x_n)=f(lim x_m)?
The general idea adaptible to the cases is that we desire
f(g(x+h))-f(x)=f(g(x)+[g(x+h)-g(x)])-f(x)
be small when h is

What are continuity problems in Analysis?

Continuity problems in Analysis refer to situations where a function is not continuous at a certain point or over a certain interval. This means that the function has a break or a jump at that point or interval, and its behavior is not smooth or predictable.

Why are continuity problems important in Analysis?

Continuity problems are important in Analysis because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their limits. They also allow us to identify points of discontinuity, which can have significant implications in real-life applications.

What are the common types of continuity problems?

The most common types of continuity problems in Analysis are removable and essential discontinuities, infinite limits, and oscillating functions. Each type presents a different challenge and requires a different approach to solve.

How can I approach solving continuity problems?

To solve continuity problems, it is important to first identify the type of discontinuity present and then apply the appropriate techniques, such as using limits, the intermediate value theorem, or the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of problems.

What are some tips for avoiding or minimizing continuity problems in Analysis?

To avoid or minimize continuity problems in Analysis, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts of continuity and limits, as well as the properties of continuous functions. Additionally, it is helpful to carefully check your work and practice regularly to improve your problem-solving skills.