Continuity Proof: f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)]

  • Thread starter Thread starter JPanthon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuity Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
JPanthon
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



f(x) = x^3 [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)] for x≠0

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I really am stuck.

I've tried squeeze theorem on [cos(pi/x^2) + sin(pi/x^2)], but I can't compute the range.

So, I tried doing it individually, squeezing -1 ≤ cos(pi/x^2) ≤ 1, but that doesn't work.

Any hints please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cos(θ)+sin(θ) = (√2)sin(θ + π/4)
 
What's the question exactly? You want to prove that that function is continuous?
 
The given function is obviously continuous for [itex]x\ne 0[/itex] because it is a composition of continuous functions. It obviously not continuous for x= 0 because it is not defined at x= 0.

Because I suspect the problem was not supposed to be that "obvious", please check again and tell us what the problem really is!