Control Systems: Frequency response Bode plots and analytical expressions

In summary, the assignment is to find the analytical expressions for the magnitude and phase of the frequency response for three given transfer functions. The first step is to replace all s with jw and then manipulate the complex numbers to simplify the expressions. The magnitude expression can be obtained by using the Bode plot and solving for the value at a given ω, while the phase can be found using the atan function.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Find analytical expressions for the magnitude and phase of the frequency response for each G(s) below:

(a) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{20}{s\,\left(s\,+\,5\right)\left(s\,+\,5\right)}[/tex](b) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{2\,\left(s\,+\,5\right)}{\left(s\,+\,1\right)\,\left(s\,+\,10\right)}[/tex](c) [tex]G(s)\,=\,\frac{100}{s\left(s^2\,+\,10\,s\,+\,100\right)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]M\left(\omega\right)\,=\,\vert\,G\left(j\omega\right)\vert[/tex]

Also need to find the angle expression.

Complex number operations are quite intensive, this is probably why I can't figure it out!

The Attempt at a Solution

Prof. told us to first replace all s with jw.

(a) [tex]G(j\omega)\,=\,\frac{20}{\left(j\omega\right)\,\left[\left(j\omega\right)\,+\,1\right]\,\left[\left(j\omega\right)\,+\,5\right]}[/tex]

Then I do some complex number manipulation to slightly simplify the expression.

[tex]G(j\omega)\,=\,\frac{20}{\left(-j\omega^3\,-\,6\omega^2\,+\,5j\omega\right)}[/tex]

Does that look right? I've tried to get the magnitude expression multiple times, but it just doesn't seem right! I did the Bode plot for this transfer function in MATlab and it reports that at w=1 the magnitude should be 8.83dB. NONE of my magnitude expressions produce that data point. What am I doing wrong?EDIT:

I figured out the magnitude part. But I still don't understand how to get the phase part.

[tex]M(\omega)\,=\,\frac{20}{\sqrt{\left(5\omega\,-\,\omega^3\right)^2\,+\,\left(6\omega^2\right)^2}}[/tex]

And then to get the dB magnitude...

[tex]20\,log\left(M(\omega)\right)[/tex]

But now how do I get the phase?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your alegra looks good to me.
G(ω) is just a complex number for any given value of ω. So you can find the phase angle with the atan function. I suggest you review the polar form of complex numbers if this is still confusing.

1. What is the purpose of a frequency response Bode plot?

A frequency response Bode plot is a graphical representation of a control system's output in response to different input frequencies. It is used to analyze the stability, gain, and phase characteristics of a system and to determine its performance in the frequency domain.

2. How is a Bode plot constructed?

A Bode plot is created by plotting the magnitude and phase of a system's frequency response on a logarithmic scale against the input frequency. The magnitude is represented on the y-axis in decibels (dB) and the phase on the x-axis in degrees.

3. What can we learn from a Bode plot?

From a Bode plot, we can determine the system's gain margin, phase margin, and bandwidth. Gain margin is the amount of gain the system can tolerate before becoming unstable, while phase margin is the amount of phase shift the system can tolerate before oscillating. Bandwidth refers to the range of frequencies at which the system can accurately respond to input signals.

4. How are analytical expressions used in control systems?

Analytical expressions, also known as transfer functions, are mathematical representations of a control system's behavior. They are used to analyze the system's response to different inputs and to design controllers that can improve its performance. They can also be used to predict the system's behavior before it is actually built.

5. What are the limitations of Bode plots and analytical expressions?

Bode plots and analytical expressions are based on linear system models and may not accurately represent the behavior of nonlinear systems. They also assume ideal conditions and may not account for real-world factors such as noise and disturbances. Additionally, these methods may be time-consuming and require advanced mathematical skills to interpret.