Control Systems - stability and settling time

In summary, the homework statement is to find the limit of stability of a given k and the range of k such that the settling time is between 10 and 20 seconds.
xopher

Homework Statement

Given G(s) = 1/[(s^2+s+4)(s+6)] and C(s) = k, find the limit of stability of k. Also, what is the range of k such that the settling time is between 10 and 20 seconds.

Homework Equations

Provided above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to set this up just as i would for any other control systems problem by finding the transfer function:

T(s) = CG/(1+CG) = k / (s^3 + 7s^2 + 10s + k + 24)

I am currently stuck because I have no idea how to deal with a higher order system. In the past, I have done similar questions only in first or 2nd order where I would change T(s) into the form of characteristic equations covered in class.

Any help will help appreciated!

Dv7sAKgl.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've figured out the limit of stability portion.

http://imgur.com/MOSEEqG
(please note there are 2 pictures)

LjW3ZR3l.jpg

kxkoh0hl.jpg

Any ideas on how to find the range of k within the settling time?

Last edited:
For most systems (including this one) when an increase in gain leads to less and less stability, operate on the open-loop transfer function C(s)G(s): stable if and only if |C(jw)G(jw)| < 1 for arg[C(jw)G(jw) = pi. This can easily be appreciated if you look at the closed loop T(s) = CG/(1+CG). To go unstable the denominator has to = infinity in both its real and imaginary parts. Note that the "1" in the denominator = 1 +j0.

As for the settling time criterion I know only to apply a step into T(s), time-invert and look at the response. Probably there's a better way.

Last edited:
Thanks rudeman,

Now that you mention it, i do vaguely remember my professor mentioning this. Any idea where I can find some material to read as a refresher?

I'm sure there are lots of posts on the Internet, or any elementary control systems text.

The best all-around stabilkity test is the Nyquist critrerion but it's a bit on the involved side. Nice thing about it is it covers all types of T(s).

Settling time I can't give you any more suggestions I'm afraid. Third-order systems don't have nice formulas like 2nd order ones do, like settling time, overshoot etc etc. At least I've never seen any.

Likes 1 person
I've figured it out...

I don't exactly know what the explanation is but I'm dividing the characteristic equation with a 2nd order characteristic equation based off the condition ts = 10,20. After you crunch the numbers, you'll find the range of K from 10 - 20 seconds.

xopher said:
I've figured it out...

I don't exactly know what the explanation is but I'm dividing the characteristic equation with a 2nd order characteristic equation based off the condition ts = 10,20. After you crunch the numbers, you'll find the range of K from 10 - 20 seconds.

Sounds interesting. Ya got me!

Here's the best part... i can't seem to verify this on matlab. Either the code is wrong or I'm wrong. I tried using my prof's example on MATLAB and its still inconclusive...

What did you do with matlab? Put a step input into T(s)?

What is a control system?

A control system is a system that manages, commands, directs, or regulates the behavior of other devices or systems. It is used to achieve a desired output by controlling the input variables.

What is stability in a control system?

Stability in a control system refers to the ability of the system to maintain a desired output despite external disturbances or changes in input variables. A stable control system will return to its original state after a disturbance is introduced.

How is stability measured in a control system?

Stability is typically measured by analyzing the system's response to a disturbance. The most commonly used methods for measuring stability are the Bode plot and the root locus plot. These plots show the system's frequency response and poles, respectively, which can indicate stability.

What is settling time in a control system?

Settling time is the time required for the system's response to reach and remain within a specified range of the desired output. It is an important measure of the system's performance, as a shorter settling time means the system can respond faster to changes in input variables.

How can settling time be improved in a control system?

Settling time can be improved by using a control system with a faster response time, such as a proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller. Additionally, optimizing the system's parameters and tuning the controller can also help reduce settling time.