Control systems: Simplifying block diagram

In summary, Mason's rule can be used to find the transfer function for the outer loop, and the steady state gain is found by letting s → 0.
MattH150197

Homework Statement

How to show a block diagram can be simplified to a standard first order form for the diagram shown in the image attached and the question is shown in 1.a

Homework Equations

Standard first order form K/(1+tD) where K gain and t is time constant

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So i got ((Kb*H-h)*Kp-4)*1/2s = h Is this correct? and how do i show it in standard first order form from here? Thanks

Attachments

• Exam question.png
    Exam question.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 435
Physics news on Phys.org
Figure 1 shows two closed loops: An inner and an outer loop.

Use Mason's rule to calculate the transfer function as for the inner loop.

Insert this inner transfer function in the outer loop and use Mason again to calculate h(s)/H(s) for the outer loop ( the transfer function for the outer loop ).

The characteristic equation for h(s)/H(s) will be in the form:

as + b = 0 → τ = b / a.

Enlarged image of diagram as requested

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 494
Hesch sorry I am not quite sure how from what youve said i can show it is a first order system as i need to show it in the form h = K/(1+tD), I am just not sure how to get there from what i worked out

MattH150197 said:
i need to show it in the form h = K/(1+tD)

You don't need to show in this form.

Using Mason you should get:

h(s)/H(s) = Kp * Kb / ( 2s + 4 + Kp ) →

h(s) = H(s) * Kp * Kb / ( 2s + 4 + Kp )
( if you wish )

MattH150197 said:
So i got ((Kb*H-h)*Kp-4)*1/2s = h Is this correct?
I think it's nearly there; Check what's fed back via the "4" block. That 4 looks mighty lonely in your equation, given that the term its being summed with is bound to have some units associated with it... :smile: .

Hesch said:
h(s) = H(s) * Kp * Kb / ( 2s + 4 + Kp )
To determine the steady state gain from the above equation, let s → 0, so

h(0) = H(0) * Kp * Kb / ( 4 + Kp )

Ah yeah i understand what you have done now actually Hesch, thanks for the help guys.

What is a control system?

A control system is a set of interconnected components that work together to achieve a desired output or response from a system. It is used to regulate and maintain the behavior of a system in a desired manner.

What is a block diagram in control systems?

A block diagram is a visual representation of a control system that uses blocks to represent the various components of the system and their interconnections. It simplifies the understanding of the system's functioning and helps in designing and analyzing the system.

How do you simplify a block diagram in control systems?

To simplify a block diagram in control systems, you can use various techniques such as block reduction, block elimination, and signal flow graph representation. These techniques help in reducing the complexity of the system and make it easier to analyze and understand.

What are the advantages of using block diagrams in control systems?

Block diagrams provide a visual representation of the system, making it easier to understand and analyze. They also help in identifying the key components of the system and their interconnections. Additionally, block diagrams can be used to design and simulate control systems before implementing them in real-life applications.

Can block diagrams be used for all types of control systems?

Yes, block diagrams can be used for all types of control systems, including mechanical, electrical, and electronic systems. They can also be used for both linear and non-linear control systems. However, for complex systems, the block diagrams may need to be further simplified using advanced techniques.