Control two 7-segment displays

• Thread starter Fatima Hasan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the OP attempted to control a 7-segment display with a circuit, but did not get the correct answer. He tried to design the circuit to control the first 7-segment, but got confused by the "1" entries for the second display. He solved the question again and got different answers. He tried to design the circuit to control the first 7-segment, but got confused by the "0" entries for the second display. He solved the question again and got different answers. He tried to design the circuit to control the first 7-segment, but got confused by the "?" entries for the second display. He solved the question again and got different answers. He tried to design the circuit
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

Capture.png

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture1.png

gif.gif

Capture22.png

2.gif

I tried to design the circuit to control the first 7-segment , but I didn't get the correct answer.
2222.png

Could someone check where is my mistake ?

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,466
  • Capture1.png
    Capture1.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 856
  • gif.gif
    gif.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 730
  • Capture22.png
    Capture22.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 2222.png
    2222.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 529
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 776
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll check it over in more detail in a bit, but there are only 4 binary inputs to this 2-digit display, right? What is the maximum decimal number that can be displayed? When the lead digit is zero, do you want to display a "0" or just leave that display off? :smile:

berkeman said:
What is the maximum decimal number that can be displayed
9 ?

No. I mean what is the decimal equivilant of 0b1111 = 0xF = 0d?

berkeman said:
When the lead digit is zero, do you want to display a "0" or just leave that display off?
Want to display a "0" .

Fatima Hasan said:
Want to display a "0" .
Okay. You see how "off" would be easier, right? :smile:

So start with a table like this:
Code:
ABCD  d1 d2
0000  0  0
0001  0  1
etc.
1111   ?  ?
and then check your work against that table...

Oh wait, maybe you already did that. I was confused by all of the "1" entries for the 2nd display, but maybe it's just because you are displaying "0" so much. Let me take a closer look...

Shouldn't b2 and c2 always be on?

berkeman said:
Shouldn't b2 and c2 always be on?
b1 and c1 are always on.
For example , when the decimal number is 12 ( d1=1 and d2 = 2 ) :
b1 and c1 = 1 .
a2=0 , b2 =0, c2 = 0 , d2 = 1 , e2= 1 , f2= 0 and g2 = 1.

Ah, got it. Sorry, I had the numbers of the two displays mixed up. So which digit is this simulation for?

upload_2018-11-30_8-44-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-30_8-44-23.png
    upload_2018-11-30_8-44-23.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 450
Also, are you using a common-cathode or common-anode display? It looks like the segments are just inverted in your diagram, if it's for the most significant digit. Switch to a common-cathode display if you want to drive the segments with "1 = ON"...

berkeman said:
So which digit is this simulation for?
The first one (d1).

berkeman said:
Also, are you using a common-cathode or common-anode display?
I don't know what is the difference between them , we haven't covered that yet.

Fatima Hasan said:
I don't know what is the difference between them , we haven't covered that yet.
You would drive the segments of a common-cathode LED display high to turn them on. The common-cathode of all of the LED segments is connected to ground:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/articles/segment1.gif

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/articles/segment1.gif

In a common-anode LED display, you connect the common-anode to your +5V supply, and drive the segments low to turn them on. Your display in the simulation appears to be the common-anode type, since the segments are off when you drive them high, and on when you drive them low. That may be your only issue with this problem...

berkeman said:
Your display in the simulation appears to be the common-anode type, since the segments are off when you drive them high, and on when you drive them low.
232323.png

Got it , thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

• 232323.png
    232323.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 429
Likes berkeman
Fatima Hasan said:
Got it , thanks a lot for your help.
Great! I think I would turn off the dot though... :smile:

berkeman said:

This is the simulation for the second digit :
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/234945

But I didn't get the correct answer , It should be 0 instead of 1 . Also , I am not sure if that is the minimum number of gates or not.
Could you check it please ?

berkeman said:
I solved the question again and got different answers .
In my first solution, I started by doing simplification then I took the commons between them and I got 28 gates in the final answer ... While in my second solution , I did the opposite by taking the commons in the beginning and then I got 24 gates in my final answer ...

Here's my first solution :
Untitled.png

The second one :
Untitled1.png

Which method is the correct one ?
Thanks .

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 442
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
berkeman said:
I mean what is the decimal equivilant of 0b1111 = 0xF = 0d?
@berkeman, did you intend something else for that last number?

Mark44 said:
@berkeman, did you intend something else for that last number?
I was just asking what the "?" would be. 0xF = what in decimal... The OP seems to be doing okay now, I was a bit confused early on in the thread about which digit was which.

Fatima Hasan said:
Which method is the correct one ?
Do they both simulate correctly? If so, the one with the fewer gates would be the preferred answer, no?

Also, have you looked at IC schematics for the parts that do this function? That may be a good cross-check for your work. Just Google 7-segment display drive ICs or similar, and use Google Images to start looking at their schematics. :smile:

Likes Fatima Hasan
berkeman said:
Do they both simulate correctly? If so, the one with the fewer gates would be the preferred answer, no?

Also, have you looked at IC schematics for the parts that do this function? That may be a good cross-check for your work. Just Google 7-segment display drive ICs or similar, and use Google Images to start looking at their schematics. :smile:
Thanks for your help .

berkeman said:
I was just asking what the "?" would be. 0xF = what in decimal... The OP seems to be doing okay now, I was a bit confused early on in the thread about which digit was which.
I thought that might be what you were doing, but "0d?" was confusing to me, since 0xd would be 13 (decimal), which is different from 0xF.

What is the purpose of controlling two 7-segment displays?

The purpose of controlling two 7-segment displays is to display numerical or alphanumeric characters in a visual format. This can be used for various purposes such as displaying temperature, time, or any other data that needs to be shown in a digital format.

What are the basic components needed to control two 7-segment displays?

The basic components needed to control two 7-segment displays include a microcontroller, two 7-segment display modules, a breadboard, jump wires, and resistors. The microcontroller acts as the brain of the system and controls the flow of data to the 7-segment displays.

How does the microcontroller communicate with the 7-segment displays?

The microcontroller communicates with the 7-segment displays using a set of pins called GPIO (General Purpose Input Output) pins. These pins can be programmed to either send or receive digital signals, which are then used to control the segments of the display.

Can the two 7-segment displays be controlled independently?

Yes, the two 7-segment displays can be controlled independently by using separate GPIO pins for each display. This allows for different data to be displayed on each display simultaneously.

What are some common applications of controlling two 7-segment displays?

Controlling two 7-segment displays has various applications in everyday life. They are commonly used in digital clocks, temperature displays, scoreboards, and even in medical equipment to display vital signs. They can also be used in educational projects to teach basic electronics and programming concepts.