Controlling LED with Transistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple logic for turning an LED on or off based on the voltage at point "A". The attached circuit is deemed suitable as long as the LED forward voltage is higher than the BJT's saturation voltage and lower than the supply voltage, and the base resistor is chosen to ensure the BJT saturates. The concept of saturation is explained, with the choice of base resistor affecting the saturation point. An alternative circuit is suggested to avoid power consumption when the LED is off.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I want to implement the following very simple logic:

Voltage at point "A" is high ==> LED is OFF

Voltage at point "A" is low or floating ==> LED is ON

and I came up with the attached circuit to implement it. I'm just wondering if there is anything "bad" about doing it this way, or if this circuit is OK.

Attachments

• led_npn.png
    led_npn.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 495
Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be okay with this basic inverter, assuming:
1) The LED forward voltage is higher than the BJT's saturation voltage [itex]V_{CE(SAT)}[/itex], and lower than [itex]V_{CC}[/itex], and
2) The base resistor is selected such that the BJT actually saturates

MATLABdude said:
You should be okay with this basic inverter, assuming:
1) The LED forward voltage is higher than the BJT's saturation voltage [itex]V_{CE(SAT)}[/itex], and lower than [itex]V_{CC}[/itex],

Okay, well I have measured a fairly large forward voltage for this LED, ~ 1.8 V, whereas it appears that the collector is pulled down to 0.2 V when conducting (I assume that this is the saturation voltage). My Vcc is 6.0 V, since I'm using 4 AA batteries.

MATLABdude said:
and
2) The base resistor is selected such that the BJT actually saturates

My understanding of what saturation is is that the base current is large enough that the expected collector current IC = βIB, is so large that it cannot possibly be achieved by a voltage drop across the collector resistor. The required voltage drop would mean pulling the collector below ground, which the transistor cannot do. Instead the collector just gets pulled down to some small voltage value that is almost 0 -- the saturation voltage. It seems like with a choice of base resistor of 1k or 10k, saturation is happening easily. Am I understanding things correctly?

Things sound like they're all right. When I learned of saturation, it was "starving the collector", but it could just as easily be "stuffing the base", depending on your context and what you have available. When you design for saturation, you get to choose the value for beta, such that [itex]\beta_{SAT} < \beta_{\circ}[/itex]

http://profmason.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/LogicProbe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one-thing 'stupid' of the circuit. It will consume more power when the led is OFF.
If you wanted to have no power consumed when the led is off Pherhaps you could do so in this way. I have guessed some values.
modi.jpg

1. What is the purpose of using a transistor to control an LED?

The purpose of using a transistor to control an LED is to amplify the current and voltage supplied to the LED, allowing it to light up with a smaller input signal. This helps to protect the LED from damage and allows for more precise control of its brightness.

2. How does a transistor work to control an LED?

A transistor works by using a small current to control a larger current. When a small current is applied to the base of the transistor, it allows a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter. In the case of controlling an LED, this larger current powers the LED and allows it to light up.

3. What type of transistor is best for controlling an LED?

The best type of transistor for controlling an LED is a bipolar junction transistor (BJT), specifically a NPN type. These transistors are commonly used for low power applications, making them ideal for controlling LEDs as they do not require a lot of current.

4. How do I connect a transistor to an LED for control?

To connect a transistor to an LED for control, you will need to connect the base of the transistor to the signal source, the collector to the positive terminal of the LED, and the emitter to the negative terminal of the LED. You will also need to connect a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current and protect the LED from damage.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when controlling an LED with a transistor?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when controlling an LED with a transistor. It is important to use the correct type of transistor for the application and to properly calculate and use a resistor to limit the current. Additionally, you should avoid touching the transistor and LED while they are connected to a power source to avoid electric shock.