Convective heat transfer coefficients of fuel oil?

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding values for the convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil or crude oil at elevated temperatures for a thermal resistance network project. They are considering using Rayleigh and Nusselt numbers, but do not have the temperature of the inner wall. They are looking for resources or methods to calculate or estimate these coefficients without knowing the inner surface temperature. They also mention the possibility of assuming the wall temperature is the same as the environmental temperature.
Downtown84
I'm setting up a thermal resistance network to determine the heat loss through the insulated wall of a heated fuel/crude oil tank but i can't seem to find values for the convective heat transfer coefficient of the fuel oil (kerosene) or the crude oil at elevated temperatures. I have only found values at room temperature (20 degrees C). I would try to determine the values using Rayleigh and Nusselt numbers, but the problem does not give the temperature of the inner wall, only the fluid temperature. Does anyone know of a resource where i can find these convective heat transfer coefficients, or of a way to calculate/estimate them without knowing the inner surface temperature? Thanks in advance.

Perhaps it helps to post the complete problem statement ?

To calculate free convection parameters you'll need the fluid temperature and the wall temperature. If you haven't been provided the wall temperature, can you assume it is the same as environmental temp?

1. What is a convective heat transfer coefficient?

A convective heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the rate at which heat is transferred between a solid surface and a fluid (such as air or liquid) through convection. It is commonly represented by the symbol "h" and has units of watts per square meter-kelvin (W/m2-K).

2. How is the convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil determined?

The convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil can be determined experimentally in a laboratory setting or through computational fluid dynamics simulations. It is affected by factors such as fluid velocity, temperature difference between the surface and the fluid, and the properties of the fluid and surface.

3. What factors can affect the convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil?

The convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil can be affected by factors such as fluid velocity, temperature difference between the surface and the fluid, properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and thermal conductivity), properties of the surface (such as roughness and emissivity), and the geometry of the system.

4. How does the convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil impact heat transfer in industrial processes?

The convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil plays a significant role in heat transfer in industrial processes, particularly in heat exchangers. A higher convective heat transfer coefficient means more efficient heat transfer, which can result in faster heating or cooling processes and lower energy costs.

5. Can the convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil change over time?

Yes, the convective heat transfer coefficient of fuel oil can change over time due to factors such as fouling or corrosion on the surface, changes in fluid velocity or temperature, and changes in the properties of the fluid or surface. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help maintain a consistent convective heat transfer coefficient in industrial processes.