Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convective heat transfer coefficients of fuel oil?

1. Nov 16, 2015 #1
    I'm setting up a thermal resistance network to determine the heat loss through the insulated wall of a heated fuel/crude oil tank but i cant seem to find values for the convective heat transfer coefficient of the fuel oil (kerosene) or the crude oil at elevated temperatures. I have only found values at room temperature (20 degrees C). I would try to determine the values using Rayleigh and Nusselt numbers, but the problem does not give the temperature of the inner wall, only the fluid temperature. Does anyone know of a resource where i can find these convective heat transfer coefficients, or of a way to calculate/estimate them without knowing the inner surface temperature? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps it helps to post the complete problem statement ?

5. Nov 23, 2015 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To calculate free convection parameters you'll need the fluid temperature and the wall temperature. If you haven't been provided the wall temperature, can you assume it is the same as environmental temp?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook