1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a sequence of integrals

1. Feb 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let I=[a,b], f : I to R be continuous and suppose that f(x) >= 0 . If M = sup{f(x):x ε I} show that the sequence $$\left( \int_a^b (f(x))^n \, dx \right)^\frac{1}{n}$$
    converges to M

3. The attempt at a solution

Where do I start? I'm thinking of having [tex] g_n(x)= \left( \int_a^b (f(x))^n \, dx \right)^\frac{1}{n}[/tex] and showing that converges to a function g(x) (uniformly?) but that just feels like restating the problem.

If I can show that there exists [itex]x_o[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x_o)-M| < \frac{ε}{2}[/itex] , and by continuity if [itex]|x-x_o| < δ[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)-f(x_o)| < \frac{ε}{2}
    [/itex] and then triangle inequality it up to show [itex]|f(x)-M| < ε[/itex]

I still feel this gets me nowhere. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2012 #2

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

Well you can trivially bound it from above, so just work on bounding it from below. Can you find an interval over which f(x)>M(1-ε), if so ∫f(x)ndx>δ Mn(1-ε)n. What happens to this bound when you raise it to 1/n?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook