Convergence of a sequence of integrals

In summary, the problem is asking to show that the sequence $$\left( \int_a^b (f(x))^n \, dx \right)^\frac{1}{n}$$ converges to the supremum of the function f(x) over the interval [a,b]. The attempt at a solution involves creating a new function and showing its convergence to a function g(x), but this does not seem to lead to a solution. Instead, bounding the sequence from below and considering the behavior of this bound as it is raised to the power of 1/n may be a more promising approach.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Let I=[a,b], f : I to R be continuous and suppose that f(x) >= 0 . If M = sup{f(x):x ε I} show that the sequence $$\left( \int_a^b (f(x))^n \, dx \right)^\frac{1}{n}$$
converges to M

The Attempt at a Solution

Where do I start? I'm thinking of having [tex] g_n(x)= \left( \int_a^b (f(x))^n \, dx \right)^\frac{1}{n}[/tex] and showing that converges to a function g(x) (uniformly?) but that just feels like restating the problem.

If I can show that there exists [itex]x_o[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x_o)-M| < \frac{ε}{2}[/itex] , and by continuity if [itex]|x-x_o| < δ[/itex] then [itex]|f(x)-f(x_o)| < \frac{ε}{2}
[/itex] and then triangle inequality it up to show [itex]|f(x)-M| < ε[/itex]

I still feel this gets me nowhere. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can trivially bound it from above, so just work on bounding it from below. Can you find an interval over which f(x)>M(1-ε), if so ∫f(x)ndx>δ Mn(1-ε)n. What happens to this bound when you raise it to 1/n?

What is the definition of convergence of a sequence of integrals?

The convergence of a sequence of integrals refers to the behavior of a sequence of integrals as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is said to converge if the sequence approaches a finite limit or value as the number of terms increases.

How do you determine if a sequence of integrals converges or diverges?

To determine if a sequence of integrals converges or diverges, you can use tests such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, or the integral test. These tests help determine if the sequence approaches a finite limit or if it diverges to infinity.

What is the importance of convergence of a sequence of integrals in mathematics?

The convergence of a sequence of integrals is important in mathematics because it allows us to evaluate the behavior of a sequence of functions and determine if a series is convergent or divergent. This is crucial in many areas of mathematics such as calculus, analysis, and differential equations.

Can a sequence of integrals converge even if the individual integrals do not converge?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence of integrals to converge even if the individual integrals do not converge. This can happen if the terms of the sequence decrease at a fast enough rate to compensate for the divergence of the individual integrals.

What are some common applications of convergence of a sequence of integrals?

The convergence of a sequence of integrals has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving infinite series, calculate areas and volumes of irregular shapes, and analyze the behavior of functions in various situations.