Is the Series a_n Convergent?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the convergence of a given series, a_n=2^n/(1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n), when n goes from 1 to infinity. The group discusses various methods, such as the ratio test and the harmonic series, to prove that the series does not converge. One member also asks for clarification on the notation used.
sutupidmath
convergence of a series. NEED HELP!

i am sorry for my symbols, but i can't use latex yet.

i have this series a_n=2^n/(1+1/2+1/3+1/4+...+1/n), and i am asked to find the convergence of this series when n goes from 1 (n=1) to infinity.

I have done this series, however i am not sure if i can go here, i do not know if i can rewrite the given series in this form, and not to change anything, so it would be:

a_n=2^n/(1/n), when n goes from 1 to infinity. If i am right here, then the rest is all clear to me.

any help would do. SO what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sutupidmath said:

i have this series a_n=2^n/(1+1/2+1/3+1/4+...+1/n), and i am asked to find the convergence of this series when n goes from 1 (n=1) to infinity.

I have done this series, however i am not sure if i can go here, i do not know if i can rewrite the given series in this form, and not to change anything, so it would be:

a_n=2^n/(1/n), when n goes from 1 to infinity. If i am right here, then the rest is all clear to me.

I don't see how you can possible think that 2n/(1/n)= n2n is the same as what you give above. In any case, it seems clear to me, since 2n increases much faster than n while 1+ 1/2+ 1/3+ ...+ 1/n increases slower than n, that the sequence an goes to infinity and, therefore, the series (the sum), if that was what you meant, does not converge.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see how you can possible think that 2n/(1/n)= n2n is the same as what you give above. In any case, it seems clear to me, since 2n increases much faster than n while 1+ 1/2+ 1/3+ ...+ 1/n increases slower than n, that the sequence an goes to infinity and, therefore, the series (the sum), if that was what you meant, does not converge.

yeah i also think it cannot converge, but how can i show it then?
I mean how can i come to that conclusion in a more elaborated way??
can you give me some hints then? Because look here what would be the partial sum for example let's say when we take n=1, then n=2, it looks a little weird to me writin let's say when we take n=1

S_1=2^1/(1+1/2+1/3+...+1/1)

it looks a little weird doesn't it??

sutupidmath said:

Do you mean:

a)[tex]\sum =\frac{2^1}{1}+\frac{2^2}{1+\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{2^3}{1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}}+...[/tex]

OR perhaps

b)[tex]\sum =2^{\frac{1}{1}}+2^{\frac{2}{1+1/2}}+2^{\frac{3}{1+1/2+1/3}}+...[/tex]

Something else?

Anycase,both are divergent becouse :

[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}a_{n}>0[/tex]

Also consider the ratio test: if [tex]a_(n+1)/(a_n) >1,[/tex] the series diverges; [tex]if a_(n+1)/a_n =1, [/tex]result unknow; if [tex] a_(n+1)/a_n<1[/tex] the series converges.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
Also consider the ratio test: if [tex]a_(n+1)/(a_n) >1,[/tex] the series diverges; [tex]if a_(n+1)/a_n =1, [/tex]result unknow; if [tex] a_(n+1)/a_n<1[/tex] the series converges.

yeah i have tried this. It is also called dallamber's rule of convergence. but the way it is given as i OP-ed, i cannot really simplify, or at least have no idea how to simplify.

tehno said:
Do you mean:

a)[tex]\sum =\frac{2^1}{1}+\frac{2^2}{1+\frac{1}{2}}+\frac{2^3}{1+\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{3}}+...[/tex]

OR perhaps

b)[tex]\sum =2^{\frac{1}{1}}+2^{\frac{2}{1+1/2}}+2^{\frac{3}{1+1/2+1/3}}+...[/tex]

Something else?

Anycase,both are divergent becouse :

[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}a_{n}>0[/tex]

i took that serie as it it originally written in the book. the proffesor put it on an exam once.
so it is a_n=2^n/(1+1/2+1/3+...+1/n), when n goes from 1 to infinity.

the thing that appears to be a prob to me, and that looks very wierd, is the denominator. because how would you rewrite this when n=1?, so i mean the partial sum of this series when n=1??

can anyone else give some more hints?

Ok well we know that the harmonic series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n}[/tex] diverges. Look on wikipedia for a proof. Since that sum diverges to positive infinity, n over that sum is 0. 2^0 is 1, larger than zero. Does not converge. A must longer and stupider way than tehno's.

tehno said:
Do you mean:

how would you write the general term for this series
i mean

a_n=?

Gib Z said:
Ok well we know that the harmonic series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n}[/tex] diverges. Look on wikipedia for a proof. Since that sum diverges to positive infinity, n over that sum is 0. 2^0 is 1, larger than zero. Does not converge. A must longer and stupider way than tehno's.

yeah i know the proof for 1/n .
but here n goes from 1 to infinity not from 0.
Moreover, i do know that this series does not converge, however what i am lookin for is a way, an elaborated way, to come to that conclusion.
In any case i am not following you here Gib Z. Can u give more explanations, maybe it will be boring for u but i just don't get it!
Stupid, no??

Notation?

sutupidmath said:
how would you write the general term for this series i mean

a_n=?
sutupidmath ,that infinite sum can be formally written as:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2^n}{\sum_{i=1}^{n}(1/i)}[/tex]

Did you denoted by a_n ,n-th partial sum ?.Usually partial sum is denoted by s_n.Please try by yourself ,after this, to see the notation for the partial sum.
However,I think that the notation is the least important here.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
yeah i know the proof for 1/n .
but here n goes from 1 to infinity not from 0.
Moreover, i do know that this series does not converge, however what i am lookin for is a way, an elaborated way, to come to that conclusion.
In any case i am not following you here Gib Z. Can u give more explanations, maybe it will be boring for u but i just don't get it!
Stupid, no??

Really, tehno already answered your question, but here's my long way:

A series can not converge if the "last" term is more than zero. I think you already know that. So to prove that this series you have doesn't converge, we can see that in the final term, there will be [tex]2^\frac{n}{\sum_k^{\infty} \frac{1}{k}}[/tex]. The denomiator doesn't converge, and diverges to infinity.
n divided by infinty is 0. 2^0 is 1. The final term is not 0, it is 1.

It doesn't converge.

Actually I just realized my response was to tehno's shown form of b and you wanted A.

My answer is compare it to the smaller series I am giving here, and show that diverges.

When we divide the numerator of the term by a larger number, the term is overall smaller. So eg for n=3, a smaller term than
[tex]\frac{2^3}{1 +1/2+1/3}[/tex] Is [tex]\frac{2^3}{1+1+1}[/tex]. In other words, divide by the larger series to get a smaller term by term. Since we can see that [tex]\frac{2^n}{n}[/tex] when n approaches infinity is obviously more than zero, so it doesn't converge.

Gib Z said:
Actually I just realized my response was to tehno's shown form of b and you wanted A.

My answer is compare it to the smaller series I am giving here, and show that diverges.

When we divide the numerator of the term by a larger number, the term is overall smaller. So eg for n=3, a smaller term than
[tex]\frac{2^3}{1 +1/2+1/3}[/tex] Is [tex]\frac{2^3}{1+1+1}[/tex]. In other words, divide by the larger series to get a smaller term by term. Since we can see that [tex]\frac{2^n}{n}[/tex] when n approaches infinity is obviously more than zero, so it doesn't converge.

thank you all guys, in particular you Gib Z, because this is exactly what i was looking for. thnx again.

No problem, but next time if you really want to learn instead of having things pointed out to you, go with tehno's advice, it was really good advice.

Gib Z said:
No problem, but next time if you really want to learn instead of having things pointed out to you, go with tehno's advice, it was really good advice.

yeah, i really do appreciate tehno's advice and help, but i got a little confused so i needed some more hints. However i will give more effort other times, in solving problems by myself. thnx again

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series refers to the behavior of a sequence of partial sums of the terms in the series. If the sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit as the number of terms increases, then the series is said to converge.

2. How is the convergence of a series determined?

The convergence of a series can be determined by applying various tests, such as the comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These tests help to determine whether the series converges or diverges.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. On the other hand, conditional convergence refers to a series that only converges when the terms are added in a specific order.

4. Can a series converge even if its terms do not approach zero?

Yes, a series can converge even if its terms do not approach zero. This is known as the alternating series test, where the terms alternate in sign and decrease in magnitude.

5. What is the importance of determining the convergence of a series?

Determining the convergence of a series is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it helps to determine the behavior and properties of the series. It also allows for the evaluation of infinite sums, which can have practical applications in various fields.