Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of complex log series on the boundary

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1

polydigm

Gold Member

The radius of convergence of [itex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty\displaystyle\frac{z^n}{n}[/itex] is 1. It converges on all of the boundary [itex]\partial B(0,1)[/itex] except at [itex]z=1[/itex]. One way of looking at this is to analyse [itex]\sum\limits_{k=1}^\infty\displaystyle\frac{\cos n\theta}{n}+\frac{\sin n\theta}{n}[/itex]. You can see the [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] solution is just the harmonic series which doesn't converge, but that the [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex] solution does converge.

The latter sum I am yet to figure out how to handle in general. Does anyone know of a good online reference that covers this or a relevant book I may be able to find in my uni library?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    Not sure about a reference, but I do have a suggestion for an approach to the problem. Instead of restricting attention to the boundary circle, you can try to find a general formula for partial sums on the whole closed unit disk. This can be done by finding a formula for the derivative of these partial sums with respect to z (which is a geometric series), then integrating it. Then apply the dominated convergence theorem to the integral to obtain the value of the series on the whole closed unit disk.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook