1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of indeterminate forms of a sequence

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    State whether the sequence converges as n--> ##∞##, if it does find the limit

i'm having trouble with these two:

n!/2n and ∫ e-x2 dx

now I know they're special forms so the ordinary tricks won't work. Any help or hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first, what have you tried?

For the second, that's an integral, not a sequence. How does n approaching infinity enter into things?

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3

For the first one I simplified it a tad if it's correct to do this:

n!/2n = n (n-1)!/2n = (n-1)!/2 ......so would that tend to ∞?

for the second one:

before being concerned with the integral, e-x2 taking it's limit to ∞ would have the sequnce converge to 0 because e-x2 = 1/ ex2, but shouldn't I integrate it first before I attempt to take the limit?

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first one, yes, I think it's pretty clear your simplified form goes to infinity. For the second one you haven't really said how 'n' is involved. Are there limits on your integral? You can't really integrate it in terms of elementary functions. A comparison test might be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook