1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of orthagonal vectors

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    {uk} is in Rn and converges to u in Rn

let v be in Rn and v is orthogonal to each uk.

prove v is orthogonal to u

2. Relevant equations
    just definition of convergence. and orthogonality. <v,u>=0 if v is orthogonal to u.

3. The attempt at a solution
    uk converges so it is cauchy, so it's terms are getting closer to each other.

for epsilon>0 , there exists k>= k0 st. ||uk-u|| < epsilon
    so if v is orthogonal to uk then u is orthogonal to each term in uk. but the terms of uk are getting closer to u. so if v is orthogonal to a uk that is very close to u, then it is also orthogonal to u.

this proof is in no way formal but i think i have the right idea. can some one please help rewrite this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    It sounds like you want to argue that if uk converges to u, then <uk, v> converges to <u, v>. Does that sound right?

if so, let h be an arbitrarily small vector. what happens to <u + h, v> = <u, v> + <h, v> as h goes to zero? The magnitude can vary of course, But you just want an upper and lower bound on it anyways. Each magnitude of h represents a neighborhood of u that contains every element of uk for k sufficiently large. (this of course comes from the definition of a limit)

Alternatively, you might be able to do something cool with the fact that <u - uk, v> = <u, v>. That that is useful is just a guess on my part though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook