1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algrebra- Orthogonal Vectors

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    I am having trouble with these questions-

Explain/prove whether:
    (a) Any set {v1,v2,.....vk} of orthogonal vectors in Rn is linearly independent.
    (b) If there is a vector v in Rn and scalar c in R, we have ||cv|| = c||v||
    (c) for any vectors u, v in Rn, ||u+v||^2 + ||u-v||^2 = 2 ||u||^2 + 2||v||^2

I think part a is true, but can't get around a way to prove it. Need help with b and c.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To show that vectors, [itex]\{v_1, v_2, v_3, \cdot\cdot\cdot, v_m\}[/itex] are independent, you must show that if [itex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ a_3v_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mv_m[/itex] then [itex]a_1= a_2= a_3= \cdot\cdot\cdot= a_m= 0[/itex].

To show that take the dot product of [itex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ a_3v_3+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mv_m[/itex] with each of [itex]v_1, v_2, v_3, \cdot\cdot\cdot, v_m[/itex] in turn.

4. Nov 28, 2011 #3
    ^ thank you, makes sense now.

5. Nov 28, 2011 #4
    any ideas for b?

6. Nov 28, 2011 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use the definitions of the [itex]\|x\|[/itex] notation on both sides. If you're allowed to use that the map [itex]x\mapsto\|x\|[/itex] is a norm, you can just compare the equality you've been given with the properties of a norm. I recommend you do it both ways. (They're both very easy).

For c, you should look at the terms on the left, one at at a time:
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    &\|u+v\|^2=\cdots\\
    &\|u-v\|^2=\cdots
    \end{align}
    [/tex] Think about the relationship between the norm and the inner product. Once you have used that, the rest will be easy.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. Nov 28, 2011 #6
    ^ thanks a lot

8. Nov 28, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Umm... (b) is not true...

9. Nov 28, 2011 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, but he said "explain/prove whether...", so he probably wasn't assuming that they were all true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook