Convergence of perturbative solutions to a non-linear diff eq

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation and the search for solutions that satisfy certain conditions. It is found that no solution exists for a certain value, and for another value, a solution is found. The possibility of the series converging towards a stationary or periodic solution is also discussed, with the conclusion that the expansion breaks down at first order. The speaker offers to provide the calculations upon request.
Strum
Hi. First off, sorry for the not so descriptive title. If one of you finds a better tilte I will edit it.

We have the equation
\begin{equation}
\partial_{xx}\phi = -\phi + \phi^{3} + \epsilon \left(1- \phi^{2}\right)
\end{equation}
We will look for solutions satisfying
\begin{equation}
\phi(\pm \infty) = \pm 1 \qquad \partial_{x}\phi\big|_{x=\pm \infty} = 0
\end{equation}
Integrating once we find
\begin{equation}
\left(\partial_{x}\phi\right)^{2} = -\phi^{2} + \frac{\phi^{4}}{2} + 2\epsilon \left(\phi - \frac{\phi^{3}}{3}\right) + K
\end{equation}
Using the boundary conditions we find that no solution exists for [itex]\epsilon \neq 0[/itex]. For [itex]\epsilon=0[/itex] we find( assuming [itex]\phi(0) = 0[/itex])
\begin{equation}
\phi_{0} = \tanh\left( \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}} \right)
\end{equation}
Now let's assume [itex]\epsilon << 1[/itex] and expand [itex]\phi = \sum \epsilon^{j}\phi_{j}[/itex] imposing the boundary conditions
\begin{equation}
\phi_{0}(\pm \infty) = \pm 1 \qquad \phi_{j}(\pm \infty) = 0
\end{equation}
For j>0, and
\begin{equation}
\partial_{x}\phi_{i}\big|_{x=\pm \infty} = 0
\end{equation}
For all i.
Now what will the higher and higher order terms signify? And will this series ever converge towards anything( either stationary or periodic)? I worked out the expansion up to [itex]\phi_{5}[/itex] without getting any wiser( I can write down the solutions if anybody asks but it takes a bit of time.)

Physics news on Phys.org
It turns out I had miscalculated a solvabillity integral. The expansion breaks down already at first order. Sorry about that!

On the odd chance that anybody would be interested in seeing the calculation, just let me know.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of convergence in the context of perturbative solutions to a non-linear differential equation?

Convergence in this context refers to the behavior of a series of approximate solutions to a non-linear differential equation as the perturbation parameter approaches zero. If the series of approximate solutions approaches a single, well-defined solution as the perturbation parameter decreases, then we say that the solutions are converging.

2. How can we determine if the perturbative solutions to a non-linear differential equation are converging?

One method is to compare the approximate solutions at different orders of the perturbation expansion. If the solutions are converging, then the higher order solutions should be closer to the exact solution than the lower order solutions. Additionally, we can check for the presence of singularities or divergences in the solutions, which may indicate non-convergence.

3. What factors can affect the convergence of perturbative solutions to a non-linear differential equation?

The rate of convergence can be affected by the choice of perturbation parameter, the initial conditions, and the non-linear terms in the equation. Higher order non-linear terms can cause the series to diverge or have a slower rate of convergence. The choice of perturbation parameter can also impact the accuracy and speed of convergence.

4. Is it possible for perturbative solutions to fail to converge for a non-linear differential equation?

Yes, it is possible for perturbative solutions to fail to converge for certain non-linear differential equations. This can occur if the non-linear terms are too dominant, causing the series to diverge. Additionally, the presence of singularities or complicated behavior in the solutions can also prevent convergence.

5. How important is convergence in the study of non-linear differential equations?

Convergence is crucial in the study of non-linear differential equations, as it determines the accuracy and reliability of the approximate solutions. If the perturbative solutions fail to converge, then they may not accurately represent the behavior of the system. Therefore, it is important to carefully analyze the convergence of solutions and adjust the perturbation expansion if necessary.