Convergence of Sum 1/n(n+1) * (sin(x))^n

  • Thread starter Thread starter stukbv
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
stukbv
Messages
112
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Sum 1/n(n+1) * (sin(x))^n .
Show this converges for all x in the reals.
Find with proof an interval on which it determines a differentiable function of x together with an expression of its derivative in terms of standard functions.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have showen convergence via a comparison to sum 1/n(n+1) so this is okay,
I think now we let x=sinx and write it like ;
Sum 1/n(n+1) * x^n .
Differentiating this gives you 1/(n+1) * x^n-1 now basically am stuck again :(

Thankyou!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stukbv! :smile:

stukbv said:
I have showen convergence via a comparison to sum 1/n(n+1) so this is okay,

Sounds good!

I think now we let x=sinx and write it like ;
Sum 1/n(n+1) * x^n .
Differentiating this gives you 1/(n+1) * x^n-1 now basically am stuck again :(

No, now you're calculating a different derivative. You really need to calculate the derivative of

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}{\frac{1}{n(n+1)}\sin^n(x)}[/tex]