1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convergence: The Integral Test

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}[/tex]

convergent or divergent?

(Note that the summation is from 1 to infinity)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int f(x) dx = L[/tex], (range is from 1 to infinity)

IF
    L = [tex]\infty[/tex], divergent
    L < [tex]\infty[/tex], convergent.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried a number of tests, and this is the only convergence test that I am not sure about. I attempted the ratio and root tests, but both were inconclusive.

As for my attempt,

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}dx[/tex], using the partial fractions method to integrate,

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}dx = \int \frac{A}{2n} + \frac{B}{2n+1} [/tex]

[tex]1 = 2nA + 2nB + A[/tex]

Matching up coefficients,

[tex]A^0: 1 = A[/tex]

and

[tex]A^1: 0 = 2A + 2B,[/tex]

[tex]B = -A = -1[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}dx = \int \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{-1}{2n+1} [/tex]

Using substitution,

[tex]\int \frac{1}{2n} = \frac{1}{2}ln(2n)[/tex]

and

[tex]\int \frac{-1}{2n+1} = -\frac{1}{2}ln(2n+1)[/tex]

So, adding these two together, and using properties of the natural log,

[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln(2n) + -\frac{1}{2}ln(2n+1) = \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2n}{2n+1})[/tex]

Now, inserting the bounds 1 and t (Where t is infinity),

[tex]\frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2t}{2t+1}) - \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{2}{3})[/tex]

Here is where I am a little stumped. I want to say "Hey, t is infinity, and at large values of t, we can ignore the excess numbers (In this case, 2t + 1 is just a tiny bit different than 2t, so we ignore the 1 to make the cancellation) and as a result, I'll have a finite value, and for this reason, the answer is convergent.

BUT, I have always been a little shaky on convergence tests - am I doing this correctly or am I wrong to make that assumption about the cancellation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

An easier test for this one is comparison with the convergent series [itex]\sum 1/(4n^2)[/itex].

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    Sigh.

Using your method, I got the answer in 15 seconds, as opposed to the 15 minutes my other way took.

Thanks to you, I know this is now convergent - but, for future reference, is it OK for me to make that assumption that I made towards the end of the problem?

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Adding or subtracting a constant won't affect the decision of convergence/divergence. If the integral diverges (to infinity), adding or subtracting a little bit doesn't change that. Same thing if the integral converges. Subtracting or adding something just gives a different (finite) number.

6. Apr 4, 2010 #5
    Ah OK, thanks so much for your help! My professor gave us a whole list of these things to figure out, and if I'm applying the comparison test you just showed me correctly, then I shouldn't have any more problems.

Am I applying what you just showed me in the correct manner here?

[tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n+1)}} [/tex]

to [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n)}} = \frac{1}{n}[/tex].

7. Apr 4, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got 1/(sqrt(n*(n+1))<=1/sqrt(n*n)=1/n. You know 1/n is divergent, right? If so that's not good enough. You shown your original series is less than a divergent series. That doesn't prove anything. If you want to prove it diverges you need to show it's GREATER than a divergent series. Any ideas?

8. Apr 4, 2010 #7
    I want to relate it to something like
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n(n+2)}}[/tex]

But to be honest I can't think of an easy way to deal with that one either...I'll continue thinking about it...thanks for correcting it though =).

9. Apr 4, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about comparing 1/sqrt(n*(n+1)) with 1/sqrt(n*(n+n))? Which is greater and what can you say about the convergence of the second without working too hard?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  10. Apr 4, 2010 #9
    I can say that my original function is greater than this new function, and that this new function is also divergent.

OK, I can see how your choice coincides with the way the convergence test is written. I just made the mistake of jumping the gun with this new technique =).

11. Apr 4, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are getting it. You can always make convenient choices in the comparison to make them easier to evaluate.

12. Apr 5, 2010 #11
    Your attempt is not a complete loss. Actually, there is something interesting to gain: the notion of telescoping series.

[tex]\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2n}-\frac{1}{2n+1}[/tex]

Within your sum, replace [itex]\frac{1}{2n(2n+1)}[/itex] with [itex]\frac{1}{2n}-\frac{1}{2n+1}[/itex]. Then write out a few terms, and observe any simplifications via grouping...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook