Is the Series Convergent or Divergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether the given series \sum 3+7n / 6n converges or diverges. The comparison test is used to show that the series is convergent, as it is smaller than a convergent geometric series. However, it is noted that the terms of the series must converge to zero for it to be convergent. The limit comparison test is suggested but the individual is unsure how to proceed. It is then pointed out that the inequality used in the comparison test is incorrect, and the correct inequality is found using the definition of a geometric series. It is determined that the series diverges since (7/6)^n goes to infinity for large n.
tnutty

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series converges or diverges.

[tex]\sum[/tex] 3+7n / 6n

Attempt :

Comparison test :

3+7n / 6n < 7n / 6n

3+7n / 6n < (6/7)n

since (6/7)n is a geometric series and is convergent is
3+7n / 6n convergent as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see my mistake

3+7n / 6n > (7/6)^n

but then what?

Hint: For a series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n[/tex]

to converge, the terms have to converge to zero, i.e.

[tex]\lim_{n->\infty}a_n=0[/tex].

I could use the limit comparison test but I get stuck.

You have [tex]a_n=3+7^n/6^n>3[/tex], so can [tex]a_n[/tex] converge to zero?

How did you figure that inequality ?

(7/6)^n converges to -7

tnutty said:
How did you figure that inequality ?

Clearly, (7/6)^n is a positive number for any n.

(7/6)^n converges to -7

I don't think so, 7/6>1, so (7/6)^n goes to infinity for large n.

(7/6)^n

This is a geometric series. And I know that by definition a*r^(n-1) ,where |r|<1 = a/(1-r).

so (7/6)^n
=

(7/6) * (7/6)^(n-1)

so,
a = 7/6
r = 7/6

it follows that

(7/6)^n = a/(1-r) = (7/6) / (1-7/6) = -7

wait I see what your saying. How comes this the above statement is wrong?

no your right, 7/6 > 1 so this series diverges.
Thanks

1. What is the definition of convergent and divergent?

Convergent and divergent are terms used to describe the behavior of a mathematical or scientific series. A convergent series is one in which the terms of the series approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. A divergent series is one in which the terms do not approach a finite value and may either increase or decrease without limit.

2. What are some real-world examples of convergent and divergent series?

One example of a convergent series is calculating the total amount of money in a bank account with compound interest, as the amount will approach a finite value as the interest is compounded over time. An example of a divergent series is the distance traveled by a car with a constant acceleration, as the distance will increase without limit as time goes on.

3. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent or divergent, such as the limit comparison test, the ratio test, or the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

4. What are the implications of a series being convergent or divergent?

A convergent series has a finite sum, which means that the terms of the series will eventually approach a specific value. This can be useful in mathematical and scientific calculations, as it allows for more precise and accurate results. A divergent series, on the other hand, does not have a finite sum and can be more difficult to work with in calculations.

5. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If a series has a finite sum, it is by definition convergent and cannot also be divergent. However, a series can be conditionally convergent, meaning that it is convergent but the sum depends on the order in which the terms are added.