Convergence of Series with Alternating Terms

• Thread starter mvpshaq32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the problem involves finding the convergence or divergence of the series from 1 to infinity of [2+(-1)^n]/[n(n^1/2)]. The attempt at a solution involves splitting the function into its numerator and denominator and using the divergence test for the numerator and the p-series test for the denominator. However, this method is not allowed and instead, a simpler quantity can be used to bound the term and show the simplified series converges or diverges.
mvpshaq32

Homework Statement

[tex]E[/tex] from 1 to infinity [2+(-1)^n]/[n(n^1/2)]

Homework Equations

We only have had learned comparison tests, power series, and divergence tests.

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to split the function into its numerator multiplied by its denominator:
2+(-1)^n * 1/[n(n^1/2)]
Then I perform the divergence test for the numerator in which the limit doesn't exist, meaning it diverges and the p-series test for the denominator whose ratio is 3/2 which means it converges. I then made the assumption that a diverging function multiplied by a converging function would diverge. But I don't know if I am allowed to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
notice that
1 <= [2+(-1)^n] <= 3

mvpshaq32 said:
I decided to split the function into its numerator multiplied by its denominator...

I then made the assumption that a diverging function multiplied by a converging function would diverge. But I don't know if I am allowed to do this.
No, you can't do this. You need to look at the term as a whole.

You probably find the numerator confusing. A good tactic is to replace something that looks complicated with a simple quantity that either bounds it from above or from below, depending on what you want to prove. Then show the simplified series converges or diverges. Use lanedance's hint.

Related to Convergence of Series with Alternating Terms

1. What is a converging series?

A converging series is a series in which the sum of all terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This means that as more terms are added, the total value of the series gets closer and closer to a specific number.

2. How do you determine if a series is converging or diverging?

To determine if a series is converging or diverging, you can use various tests such as the Comparison Test, the Ratio Test, or the Root Test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known converging or diverging series or evaluating the limit of the series' terms.

3. What is a diverging series?

A diverging series is a series in which the sum of all terms does not approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. This means that as more terms are added, the total value of the series either increases to infinity or oscillates between values.

4. Can a series be both converging and diverging?

No, a series cannot be both converging and diverging. A series can either approach a finite value or diverge to infinity, it cannot do both simultaneously.

5. What are some real-world applications of converging and diverging series?

Converging and diverging series are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. In physics, they are used to calculate the values of infinite sums in mathematical models. In engineering, they are used to analyze the stability of systems. In finance, they are used to calculate compound interest and determine the growth or decay of investments.