1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging Sequence

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether each of the sequences converges or diverges. If it converges, find its limit. Explain with sufficient details each claim.

2. Relevant equations
    (k) [tex]a_n=\sqrt{n^2+1}-n[/tex]

The Squeeze Theorem (If [tex]b_n<a_n<c_n[/tex], and both [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}a_n, c_n = L[/tex], then [tex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}b_n=L[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

I had the choice of deciding between the squeeze theorem and L'Hopital. L'Hopital seemed useless because I don't see a way to get this into the form of a quotient. I know the sequence is convergent to 0. Figured it would be best to try the Squeeze theorem, as it's really my only other option.

I know that [tex]0 \leq \sqrt{n^2+1}-n[/tex], but after struggling for a while, I still have no idea how to get a larger limit on the other side equal zero (without arbitrarily choosing one, 1/x for instance works, but there's no logical way to get from my function to 1/x...) I know that [tex]n+1>\sqrt{n^2+1}[/tex], but the result is n+1-n=1, and the limit of 1 is 1, period. Likewise, I can get rid of the 1, but I'll have n left over, and the limit of n is infinity! Got any good tips on getting the other side of the squeeze theorem inequality?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Multiply by [tex]\frac{\sqrt{n^2+1}+n}{\sqrt{n^2+1}+n}[/tex] and watch the magic.
  4. May 9, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You stated the Squeeze theorem incorrectly, but I suppose you know the correct statement. I don't know what you mean by there being "no logical way" to get 1/n, but if 1/n works, then it works, so what's the problem? 1/n converges to 0 as n goes to infinity, if you can prove that [itex]\sqrt{n^2+1}-n\leq n^{-1}[/itex] for all n, then you're done. There's an easier way in my opinion, but do it your way first, and once you have your own answer I can give you mine.
  5. May 10, 2007 #4
    Ah thx quasar; I shoulda thought of rationalization. I need to remember that everytime I see a square root...

When I meant "logical way" AKG, I meant that, just by looking at the equation, we can't conclude that 1/x is bigger always. I had to look at a calculator. I have to justify my choice for the boundaries of the squeeze theorem. However, quasar pointed out I could just rationalize the function and end up finding out that 1/n is bigger.
  6. May 10, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, but you should be able to prove it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?