Conversion in equal volume CSTR and PFR

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving finding which reaction order results in a higher conversion for a CSTR compared to a PFR. The individual was able to solve the mass balance for each reactor and equate them, but was unsure of how to find an inequation to determine the reaction order that would result in a higher CSTR conversion. It was suggested to set the two left hand sides equal and solve for Xpfr in terms of Xcstr, and then plot a graph for various values of n. There was also a discussion about the limitations of n=1 resulting in a 1/0 indetermination and the need to use the original differential equation in this case.
Jaller1404
Hello
I've been working on a problem that involves finding which reaction order gives a greater conversion for a CSTR over a PFR (Xcstr>Xpfr).
I was able to solve the mass balance for each reactor, finding:

upload_2017-12-5_1-25-15.png

and

upload_2017-12-5_1-28-13.png

Allowing us to equate them. This is where I've been stuck for a while now, how can I find an inequation that would get me which reaction order gives XCSTR>XPFR? It is known that this happen when n<1

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-5_1-25-15.png
    upload_2017-12-5_1-25-15.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 978
  • upload_2017-12-5_1-28-13.png
    upload_2017-12-5_1-28-13.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 938
Engineering news on Phys.org
Set the two left hand sides equal, and then algebraically solve for Xpfr in terms of Xcstr. Then, for various values of n, plot a graph of Xpfr as a function of Xcstr. I suggest n = 0.5, 1, and 2.

Thanks for the tip, but wouldn't n=1 result in a 1/0 indetermination?

Jaller1404 said:
Thanks for the tip, but wouldn't n=1 result in a 1/0 indetermination?
For n = 1, you need to go back to the original differential equation. In the limit of n= 1, the solution approaches a natural log solution.

Likes Jaller1404

1. What is a CSTR and PFR?

A CSTR (Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor) is a type of vessel used in chemical reactions where the reactants are mixed continuously and the products are removed continuously. A PFR (Plug Flow Reactor) is a type of vessel used in chemical reactions where the reactants are introduced at one end and flow through the reactor without any mixing.

2. What is conversion in equal volume CSTR and PFR?

Conversion is a measure of the amount of reactants that have been converted to products in a chemical reaction. In equal volume CSTR and PFR, the conversion is the same because the same volume of reactants is used in both types of reactors.

3. How is conversion affected by residence time in CSTR and PFR?

In a CSTR, the conversion increases with increasing residence time since the reactants have more time to react. In a PFR, the conversion is not affected by residence time since the reactants are continuously flowing through the reactor at the same rate.

4. Why is conversion higher in PFR compared to CSTR?

In a PFR, the reactants are continuously flowing through the reactor without any mixing, allowing for a higher conversion since the reactants are in contact with the catalyst for a longer period of time. In a CSTR, the reactants are continuously mixed, which can lead to side reactions and lower conversion.

5. How do temperature and pressure affect conversion in CSTR and PFR?

Temperature and pressure can affect the rate of a chemical reaction, which in turn can affect the conversion in both CSTR and PFR. In general, increasing temperature and pressure can increase the rate of reaction, leading to a higher conversion. However, this relationship may vary depending on the specific reaction and reactants involved.