Convert to Parametric Equation of surface?

In summary, to convert a set of coordinates to a surface, you'll need two coordinates (y and z) and two independent variables (x and y). You can vary y and z to get a real value for x.
Tom McCurdy
Convert to Parametric Equation of surface?

How would I go about converting

[tex] 9x^2+4y^2+z^2 = 640 [/tex]I tried just to solve for each variable but this doesn't seem rightfor example

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{640-z^2-4y^2}{9}}=x [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{640-z^2-9x^2}{4}}=y [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{640-4y^2-9x^2}{1}}=z [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
So, to range over a surface, you'll have two independent variables to run over. Pick those two, then solve for the third in terms of those two. If you are unhappy with this parametrization, you can convert to another set of coordinates.

so I can just pick to random values for y and z and then solve for xi am not sure exactly what you mean... i mean if I define a certain point for two coordinates than the third coordinate is already defined..

Last edited:
As you say, given a y and z, x is determined (up to sign, in this case)... which can be visualized as a point, a height x above the yz-plane.
So, by varying y and z, you get your surface. You'll probably note that, in this problem, you shouldn't range over all values of y and z.

Ok so you are saying that

[tex] z^2+4y^2 < 640 [/tex]

[tex]z^2+9x^2 < 640 [/tex]

[tex]4y^2+9x^2<640 [/tex]

but how does this help me get the parametric equations

I am still not getting how you go from

[tex] 9x^2+4y^2+z^2 = 640 [/tex]

to x=... y=... z=...

Based on what you wrote...
[tex] x=\pm \sqrt{\frac{640-z^2-4y^2}{9}}[/tex]
Now, vary y and z,... and you expect that, for points on your surface, you get real values of x.
So, that constrains what y and z can be.
If you want, you can set up a series of nested loops:
for y=ymin to ymax
* for z=zmin to zmax
** x=f(y,z) [this is a parameteric equation]
** plot(x,y,z)

to determine ymin and ymax... consider the z=0 case.
zmin and zmax are functions of y.
* are indents to show python-like logical blocks.

[tex]9x^2+ 4y^2+ z^2= 640[/tex]
[tex]\frac{9x^2}{640}+ \frac{4y^2}{640}+ \frac{z^2}{640}= 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x^2}{\frac{640}{9}}+ \frac{y^2}{160}+ \frac{z^2}{640}= 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x^2}{\left(\frac{\sqrt{640}}{3}\right)^2}+ \frac{y^2}{\left(\sqrt{160}\right)^2}+ \frac{z^2}{\left(\sqrt{640}\right)^2}= 1[/tex]
That's an ellipsoid- a sphere "stretched" differently along each axis.

Parametric equations for a sphere of radius R can be gotten by using spherical coordinates with [itex]\rho[/itex] set equal to R.

[itex]x= Rsin(\phi)cos(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]y= Rsin(\phi)cos(\theta)[/itex]
[itex]z= R cos(\phi)[/itex]

Your ellipse has "radius" along the x-axis of [itex]\frac{\sqrt{640}}{3}[/itex], along the y-axis of [itex]\sqrt{160}[/itex], and along the z-axis of [itex]\sqrt{640}[/itex]. Replace R above by each of those in the appropriate equation.

1. What is a parametric equation of a surface?

A parametric equation of a surface is a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on a surface in terms of one or more parameters. This allows for a more flexible and versatile representation of a surface compared to traditional equations.

2. Why is converting to a parametric equation useful?

Converting to a parametric equation allows for more control and customization in representing a surface. It also allows for easier visualization and manipulation of the surface in mathematical and computer programs.

3. How do you convert a surface to a parametric equation?

The process of converting a surface to a parametric equation involves identifying the parameters and finding equations that relate them to the coordinates on the surface. This can be done by using a variety of techniques such as substitution, elimination, and parameterization.

4. What are some examples of parametric equations of surfaces?

Some examples of parametric equations of surfaces include the parametric equations of a sphere, a cone, and a cylinder. These equations can be written in terms of parameters such as radius, height, and angle.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric equations for surfaces?

Parametric equations offer several advantages for representing surfaces, such as the ability to easily manipulate and transform the surface, the ability to represent complex surfaces that cannot be described by traditional equations, and the ability to create animations and visualizations of the surface in computer programs.