1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converted Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates

1. Dec 8, 2006 #1
    I don't know where have I gone wrong...
    I converted Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates:

[tex] \frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2} +\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial y^2}= \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial y^2})\Psi^2 - \Psi(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2})\Psi
    =\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial r^2}+ \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial \Phi^2}[/tex]

But on the left hand side (the Cartesian components) is just the Laplacian in 2D, but the final answer I got for the polar components is not equivalent to the Laplacian for polar coordinate system.
    I'm missing the term [tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial r}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2006 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are misunderstanding something here.

[tex] {\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\Psi^2
    = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi^2
    = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}( 2\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x})
    = 2 ({\frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}})^2 + 2\Psi \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial^2 x} [/tex]

That doesn't seem consistent with your (wrong) equation.

4. Dec 8, 2006 #3
    Ooops, I typed the wrong stuffs. I'm sorry.
    It should read:

[tex] (\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x})^2 +(\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial y})^2= \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial y^2})\Psi^2 - \Psi(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2})\Psi[/tex]

Next, I plug in the Laplacian for the polar coordinates, essentially cylindrical coordinate, with z constant, and I end up with:
    [tex](\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x})^2 +(\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial y})^2= (\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial r})^2+ \frac{1}{r^2}(\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial \Phi})^2[/tex]

Next, I am required to get the Euler Lagrange equation for a system. The above is just the potential part. The time derivative kinetic is just [tex]\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\Psi}^2[/tex]
    Taking the Euler Lagrange for the Cartesian, I end up with an expression from the potential part:
    [tex] \frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial x^2} +\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial y^2}[/tex]
    And this is just a Laplacian.

But when taking the Euler Lagrange for the polar coordinates, I end up with an expression [tex]\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial r^2}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2\Psi}{\partial \Phi^2}[/tex]
    and this is not equal to the Laplacian for the polar coordinates.
    I am missing [tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial r}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?