1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting degree into 'x' (integration)

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After integrating x²/(sqrt1-x²) using the triangle method and thereby substituting sin¤ for x, I ended up with the result 1/2¤-1/2sin2¤+c. For my answer toge complete, I must have the ¤ in x format. I managed to convert the 1/2¤, which is simply 1/2arcsinx but I couldn't for 1/2sin2¤, my answer did not agree with the textbook's which read 1/2x(sqrt1-x²)....

My computer won't read latex at the moment so please excuse the amateur notation. Thank you.

2. Relevant equations
    I think I covered it all above!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I call your substitution sin(t) (I don't know what symbol you were trying to put in), sin(2t)=2*cos(t)*sin(t). Put t=arcsin(x) in there.

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Oh I see, you used the trig identity....and then I refer back to the triangle to figure out what's cos(t)...Thank you!

5. Nov 26, 2007 #4
    Following your reasoning, 1/2*sin(2t) becomes 2x*sqrt(1-x²). The two cancels out when I plug it back into 1/2*sin(2t), and this can't be since the answer is 1/2*x*sqrt(1-x²)??!

6. Nov 26, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get that the integral of sin(t)^2 is t/2-sin(2t)/4. You are missing a factor of 2.

7. Nov 26, 2007 #6
    So you're suggesting that the integral of 1/2cos(2t) is 1/2sin(2t) ?! (can you please elaborate as to how you came up with the answer?)

8. Nov 26, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I'm suggesting it's sin(2t)/4. Substitute u=2t, du=2dt. That's your missing 2.

9. Nov 26, 2007 #8
    hmm I see, I never did that before, I simply went on with the integrating whenever it was 1/2-1/2cos2t for example....and I always obtained the right answer, weird! But thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?