Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting engine torque to applied linear force

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    Hello,

For a given vehicle, I want to use a given chart for engine torque vs. engine speed (or hp vs. engine speed) and convert it to an approximate 'applied linear force' on the car (assuming no wheel slippage). I need a very rough approximation, so I've averaged the engine torque and assumed it's nearly constant over all engine speeds at 200 N.m.

I don't know how to convert this to an applied linear force... I'm thinking 200 N.m at the engine -> conversion ratio for the gearbox -> conversion ratio for the drive shaft = X N.m at the wheels. Then I can use the wheel radius to convert to a linear force.

* Is what I'm doing making any sense? Can I approximate the linear force I need in another way that makes more sense? The assumption I need to make is the force provided by the engine through all vehicle speeds is the same.
    * If I'm on the right track, how do I account for the different gears in the gearbox?
    * Is the engine torque = sum of wheel torques? Make the assumption all wheels get equal power (awd 50/50 central split)

I'd appreciate any tips

-Preet

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2010 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Assuming no losses:

Wheel torque = engine torque x overall gear ratio
    Wheel rpm = engine rpm / overall gear ratio

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook